Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tired of lump shortages

I'm going caveman.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    is that oak? 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I've wondered how well you could control temp in the egg just burning hardwood...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I used pure oak wood once when I cooked pizza.  Really was a little too smokey for my taste even though the pizza was only cooked for 6 or 7 minutes. 
    A half a chord of dried, split oak.  I have always scrounged and split my own wood, but just didn't do well this year.  First time I ever bought it.  While it is satisfying to scrounge and split your own, for the time and labor involved this makes sense.  They even delivered it, but I have to stack it :-)

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    A half a chord of dried, split oak.  I have always scrounged and split my own wood, but just didn't do well this year.  First time I ever bought it.  While it is satisfying to scrounge and split your own, for the time and labor involved this makes sense.  They even delivered it, but I have to stack it :-)

Was thinking the same......I have plenty of downed trees here at the house I could pull out of the woods and turn into firewood, but I just don't have time.  And don't want to risk cutting my leg off with the chainsaw, nor be sore for days from all the physical work.  Getting old sucks!

I have geothermal, so it's dirt cheap to heat the house on that.  The last two years I've kept our wood stove insert roaring through the winter, but then I'm having to pay to run the water heater (when the geothermal is running, hot water is free!)

I'm thinking about just having enough wood and charcoal  nearby to run the wood stove for a week should we lose power or something.  Otherwise, I'm going without it this year and see what the power bill look like.  Even if it's $100 extra a month for 2-3 months, it's probably not worth the felling, sawing, splitting, stacking, trips in and outside to restock, and all the cleaning.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Ha, the winter wood stack with my banana grove behind it.  I didn't know how to judge how much wood a half chord is.  It appears our normal hoard is 3/4 to a full chord, but this should be enough for this season.

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Grill equipment and lump stocks here in south FL are shrinking and being replced by seasonal stock. Bought several bags of lump today to get me through!
  • Looks too big for an Egg, but just right for your fireplace.  You will be really comfy in your PJs and blanket next to your rolling file on those bitter cold Florida nights this winter.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious