Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

11lbs turkey!!!

Options
Gonna cook a turkey tomorrow, any tips on temp and time? Going with basic rub(garlic ,onion powder,paprika,cayenne,rosemary) coat the bird in margarine apply the rub. Want to cook slow but not sure o f temp and time. Thinking dome temp of 225, about a hour a pound? Thanks!

Comments

• daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    Options
    Dont know how to do spatchcock, so just want leave whole :D
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited October 2013
    Options
    I just picked up an 18lb. bird to do for our Canadian Thanksgiving on Monday and still need to do a little research on the best cook temp and approx. times. I've been frying my turkeys for the last 5 or 6 years and this will be my first on the egg.

Spatchcock is not hard at all and simply involves removing the backbone and flattening the bird for cooking. I'm doing my turkey whole, however, for a more traditional presentation at the table.

Are you in Canada or just doing a turkey because you like it?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options

Here's what I did, and it's worked pretty well a few times now

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1150537/plain-turkey

• Don_Piero
    Options
    Keeping it simple. Brined it two years ago, but did not last year. I couldn't notice the difference.  Gonna skip the brine again this year. The turkey has been injected with real butter (not a butterball). Just going to rub olive oil and apply a rub and then beer can it in a drip tray with chicken stock, veggies and top off with water.

http://www.biggreenegg.ca/recipes/recipe.php?id=102

Odd picture for a Turkey recipe

Piero from South Etobicoke in Toronto and sometimes Pinellas Park, St.Petersburg, XL-BGE
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Bookmarked. Might do a Turkey for thanksgiving this year if we don't travel.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Here's a link to the mad max turkey method. I think this is what I'll go with.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg
    (you cut out the backbone and cook opened)
    I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2 hr cook app)
    Chicken 3 to 4.5lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook.
    Or, just add a package of legs extra.
    I do not brine the turkey or Chicken.
    If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time)
    I cook "direct" @ 400 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over.
    I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like.
    NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND)
    I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan.
    Cook to temp (not time) breast @ 160 and thigh @ 180.

Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork)
    Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee
    Equal part: Brown Sugar
    ½ part: Black Pepper
    ½ part: Kosher Salt
    ½ part: Garlic Powder
    ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder
    Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Nsdexter
    Nsdexter Posts: 195
    Options
    I do mine with the plate setter legs up, drip tray full of stock garlic lemon and summer savoury. Then the grate, another drip pan filled with onions, carrot, celery, apple, rosemary, summer savoury s&p bay leaves, the the turkey on a roasting rack covered with bacon and summer savoury butter under the skin. 450 for 20-30 min then lower the temp to 350 till done.
    HFX NS
  • daffy1909
    Options

I just picked up an 18lb. bird to do for our Canadian Thanksgiving on Monday and still need to do a little research on the best cook temp and approx. times. I've been frying my turkeys for the last 5 or 6 years and this will be my first on the egg.

Spatchcock is not hard at all and simply involves removing the backbone and flattening the bird for cooking. I'm doing my turkey whole, however, for a more traditional presentation at the table.

Im in canada!
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    daffy1909 said:

Im in canada!
    Happy Thanksgiving!
    Options
    Thanks @texanofthenorth!! :D enjoy your weekend!!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Try Mickey's Coffee Rub... Awesome. Sub chili powder if you can't find Ancho powder. For future reference, YouTube spatchcock... Easy to do. Good luck... Look forward to pics.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • daffy1909
    Options
    Gonna try the mickeys coffee rub!and ill you tube spatchcock and give it a go! Thanks everyone for the input!!! =D> will try to take pics and let everyone know how it turned out! CHEERS!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I never cook any way other than spatchcock chicken and turkey for the past several years.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.