Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

New Egg/First Cook (Beer Butt Chicken)!

My new large BGE has finally arrived! After reading many posts here in the forum I've decided to try a beer butt chicken for my first cook tonight. I will post pictures after everything has been finished. But for now, here are a few pictures of the egg sittin' pretty!

Large & Mini, Cumming, GA  
image - 2009 Alumni
·

Comments

• Nice man!  Welcome.  You are going to love it!

LRG BGE

Columbia, SC

·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 26,941
    You are going to get a lot of suggestions to spatchcock the chicken, mostly from Mickey

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • fence0407fence0407 Posts: 1,038
    Thanks Tailwind! Looking forward to it.

Steven - I debated to spatchcock this one, but opted to do a beer butt instead. I will certainly give it a shot though!
    image - 2009 Alumni
    ·
  • Good luck Fence and welcome to the lifestyle!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    It doesn't matter how you do it, it will be awesome. I do most of mine inverted on a beer can stand.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • Welcome aboard, just got here myself a couple of weeks ago. Spatchcocked a bird last weekend and it was fantastic!
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    ·
  • RACRAC Posts: 1,309
    Welcome aboard! Have fun.

Ricky

Spring, TX

·
  • GoHornsGoHorns Posts: 20
    So... The drawback I see for spatching is the number if birds I can fit on the grill..  I was able to do three using the butt stands...

Deep In The Heart of Texas...A State of Mine....

·
  • six_eggsix_egg Posts: 600
    Welcome aboard. You will love BBQ even more now.

XLBGE, LBGE growing accessories.

Want: Ceramicgrillworks 2 tier large, Dutch oven, Cyber Q Wifi

Grenada, MS

·
  • tulocaytulocay Posts: 1,732
    welcome to the zoo!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
    ·
  • So how did it turn out?  Welcome aboard.
    Albion, PA
    ·
  • AquacopAquacop Posts: 466
    Welcome to our Cult, have a blast with your egg, we are considering selling the oven, almost never use it anymore. Cheers
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
    ·
  • BrownieBrownie Posts: 1,022
    Wow! she's so shiny clean. Just be careful, this egging thing is a bit addicting. Welcome aboard!
    ·
    Thanks yall! Everything went pretty well for my first cook on the BGE. Thanks to countless entries on this forum I was able to cook a beer butt chicken without any trouble. Here are some pictures of the event from beginning to end.
    1.jpg 3M
    2.jpg 2M
    3.jpg 2.4M
    4.jpg 2.1M
    5.jpg 2.4M
    image - 2009 Alumni
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,292
    Welcome, Looks good, how was the taste? 

Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
    Skid - it wasn't too bad. Next time I'll probably cook closer to 400 degrees for a little longer. I had it on for about 1hr15min this time. It still had more juice than any chicken I've ever cooked.
    image - 2009 Alumni
    ·

OOOOOOOOOHHH...virgin white!
    ·
  • revolver1revolver1 Posts: 336
    The learning curve never ends.  Welcome.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
    ·