Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Get ready to turn up the heat as we dive into August. While there are only a few weeks left to perfect those tailgate recipes, summer isn’t over yet! Two things we’ll be making this month are Chile Rubbed Grilled Pork Chops and Bell Pepper Kabobs. Then, relax after a cookout with a cool dessert cooked on your EGG - Ice Cream Sandwiches! You can mix and match your favorite cookie flavors with ice cream flavors. Simple, yet delicious!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Spicy Ranch Chicken Wings

GriffinGriffin Posts: 7,004

This past Saturday was my birthday and rather than going out I opted to make some wings because after all they are one of my food groups so says Mrs. G. I'm always on the look out for a new wing recipe and I thought these Spicy Ranch Chicken Wings sounded pretty good.

Started off by mixing together 3/4 cup of Franks (I put that sh!t on everything), 1/4 cup of melted butter, 3 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar in a gallon zip-lock bag and then dumped in 3 lbs of chicken wings. The directions said to let it marinate in teh fridge. Didn't see that when I first glanced at it, so they only got about an hour and half.

Pulled them out of the marinade and then liberallyu sprinkled them with one package of ranch dressing mix and 1/2tsp of paprika

Then onto the Egg at 400 direct with a raised grate

Let them go for about 35-40 minutes and they were done. Some steak fries, celery and ranch to finish up the meal.

The wings were pretty tasty. Not really spicy at all, but I really enjoyed the twang from the powdered ranch mix. Think next time I might add some chipotle powder to them just to really get them spicy.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorthTexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,610
    Those look pretty good Griff. I think I'll try that next time I do wings. I assume you just do a single flip 1/2 way through?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

Richardson, Texas

• MickeyMickey Posts: 16,473
    Think you are right on the chipotle powder or ancho powder.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• LoggerLogger Posts: 236
    I've got to try this one.  Maybe the SWMBO will enjoy them (she does not care for spicy food)
    Also, I hope your mg/dl level has been in check.
    OKC area  XL - Medium
  • fljoemonfljoemon Posts: 609
    I pick up this seasoning http://www.vgourmet.com/Smoky-Paprika-Chipotle-Seasoning/p/VIC-00146&c=VictoriaGourmet@SeasoningBlends from TJMax for around $4. This is excellent stuff!

@Griffin thanks for your post .. makes me want to do some wings tonight :-)
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,597
    Love the baskets
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    henapple said:
    Love the baskets
    Not to mention the red and white checkerboard paper.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

A heat with a flavor profile I really like is habaneros.  Add some naga jolokia and call 'em "ghost wangs".

• billyraybillyray Posts: 1,122
    @Griffin How much chipotle are you thinking about using next time?
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 7,004

@Logger actually my mg/dl level was fine last time I went to the docotr.

@fljoemon - haven't seen that. Need to go look for it.

@henapple - I'm pretty sure Mrs. G picked those up at World Market. She was making fun of them to her sister that night until I reminded her that they were her idea and she bought them, not me.

@TexanOfTheNorth - thanks, World Market. need to go and get more as we are down to one sheet of the stuff. Looks like you can pick them up on Amazon

@nolaegghead - you might be certifiable.

@billyray - not sure. Start with a little and ramp it up if need be. Maybe an 1/8 to 1/4 tsp?

Richardson, Texas

Richardson, Texas

Thanks @Griffin. Seeing the baskets and checkered paper reminded me taking my kids to "Chuck's"; that used to be there at Coit and Arapaho. Pretty good burgers and great cheese fries!
  • Happy birthday.  Have you received  your first social security check yet?

Wings look great !  
    =D>

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• six_eggsix_egg Posts: 616
    edited October 2013
    Looks great Griffin. I love frank's also. I am doing wings and ribs today. I got a local rub called voodoo I use on mine. I do Swamp Venom on rest of the families. I do my frank's and unsalted butter after they come off the grill. What do you think about that idea @Griffin?  

XLBGE, LBGE 

Texarkana, TX

• DMWDMW Posts: 7,095
    Looks great, would go great with pizzas.
    My Facebook Place where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - Hasty Bake Legacy - Black Stone Pizza Oven - Gasser - 30" Firepit w/SS Cooking Grid
    I'm going to try this with some drumsticks I marinated last night.  Any suggestions for temp and method?  Indirect and then finish with high heat direct to crisp up?
    400 raised direct if you can. Or a chicken leg holder if you have one.

Richardson, Texas

six_egg said:
    Looks great Griffin. I love frank's also. I am doing wings and ribs today. I got a local rub called voodoo I use on mine. I do Swamp Venom on rest of the families. I do my frank's and unsalted butter after they come off the grill. What do you think about that idea @Griffin?  
    sounds good. That's how I do my regular buffalo wings.

Richardson, Texas

• @Griffin Thanks...I will give it a try and report back
    Albion, PA
  • That looks great.  Other half loves wings....will grind up some of the peppers DOW sent from NM to make a chill powder and follow your advice about the chipotle.  
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
  • AquacopAquacop Posts: 468
    Happy birthday Griff, wings are part of the major food group in my household also, will have to give yours a try. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
    Thanks guys, but this is a resurrected post. My b-day was back in June.

Richardson, Texas

• GreenhawKGreenhawK Posts: 398
    Looks like I found my gameday cook.  Looks great.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • Griffin, can you help with a paleo friendly wing recipe? I'm running out of ideas?
    Beaufort, SC
    I'm no expert on paleo. What's not paleo about buffalo wings?

Richardson, Texas

• Just the butter and ranch are no go for me... Looking for ideas to sub
    Beaufort, SC
  • Mine are on now.  Been hunting and just in watching the Bama game and sipping cold beverages.
    Albion, PA
  • yogi84yogi84 Posts: 153
    @Griffin have you ever seen hatch green chili powder? i think that would be good
    Never seen it or heard of it. Interest piqued.

Richardson, Texas

• billyraybillyray Posts: 1,122
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini