Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fairly New - Want to try ribs this weekend

kkuchars
kkuchars Posts: 4

So my wife comes home with this fantastic anniversary present for out 20 year anniversary about a month ago.  Have been doing your basic fish, chicken, pork chops, steak, but this weekend I want to see what the BGE is all about and do some ribs.  Problem is, I don't have a plate setter yet.  I was told I have to wait for Christmas so people know what to get.  Has anyone ever done ribs direct or can I have some ideas on how to improvise.  Thank you<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Comments

• Do you have a baking stone? You could use that in place of the plate setter. I'm sure there are other diy options but, I've never used any. Really anything that will block the meat from the direct heat of the burning lump.

As far as cooking them direct... I've never done it but it could be done. I am not sure you'd get the results you're looking for though.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I have done it and is doable. All you need to do is turn the ribs every 5-7 minutes for like one hour to 1 hour 25 minutes. Just dont let them sit for more than 7 minutes you gonna burn'em.
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    edited October 2013
    It can be done just watch your heat. Also if you can raise your grate up a bit it (maybe 2 or 3 inches) might help with flare ups. I would no doubt have bone side down too. I am sure if you keep an eye on them they will be ok. Maybe wrap your grate in HD foil before you put your ribs on and poke a couple small holes for the grease to drop.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• @six_egg good idea on the foil wrap. +1 for that idea

LRG BGE

Columbia, SC

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    edited October 2013
    I know how addictive the egg and cooking can be. I am just trying to help you by throwing  out some ideas. Glad you liked them.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    edited October 2013
    You can cook direct if you have a way to raise the grill to the felt line. The classic Egger solution is buying 3 fire brick splits from a contractor/masonry supply. Cost is usually less then $2. Sit those on edge, and place the grill on them. If you do that, the ribs will need to be turned and rotated every half hour or so, and maybe mopped/spritzed, to compensate for sitting over hot spots.

I didn't have a platesetter for my first 6 mo.s. My make do was finding a spare grill (for me, a Brinkman) and boosting it up w. 4" tall bolts fixed w. washers and nuts.  Under that, I just placed an aluminum foil drip pan sitting on the base Egg grill. Still use that set-up most often.

If you can find a cheap rib rack, place it in a foil pan w. a little fluid in it, on the lower grill position (on the fire ring.) Not a great solution, because the hot water vapor may wash off rub and some smoke flavor. But the ribs should end up tender w/o burning.