Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Controlling Temperature

Options
Newbie Posts: 33
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hope everyone's having an eggstrordrinary Sunday -- This is my first attempt at cooking on a Green Egg (mine's actually an old clay Kamado cooker). Went to the Big Green Egg Store here in Atlanta yesterday and loaded up on accessories (daisy wheel, thermometer, lump charcoal, etc.) and advice.[p]My question: I lit the fire, waited for the temp to get up to 300^, thru on my rubbed baby backs, closed the dome and shut the Daisy wheel, and left the draft door open 1". The temp then went to 350. I've closed the draft door to about an 1/8" and the temp's still at 290 for the last half hour -- I was shooting for 210-220. I'm thinking about closing the draft door entirely (I've done this for a few minutes at a pop), but I'm worried about extinguishing the fire, and not knowing it because of the stored heat within the Egg.[p]Sorry for the long post, but any advice will be appreciated.[p]Thanks!
Dan

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    newbie, you fail to say whether you are doing your ribs direct or indirect. Try just opening the top for a minute and letting the heat out - it usually works for me. [p]If that doesn't work, don't be afraid of the 250 to 290 range - the ribs will still be great. Good luck![p]
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    newbie,[p]The clay models are only good for about 350F. Around this, and certainly above, they will crack from thermal stress.[p]You need to control the temp before it rises too high. It is much easier to "catch" the temp rise and then adjust up.[p]Spin

Options
    Spin,[p]Thanks for the response -- I'm still trying to get the temperature to come down... How do you keep the temp from getting too hot? I lit the lump charcoal, closed the lid, and it's been in the 300 range ever since (I was shooting for 210 -200).[p]Thanks again,
    Dan

Options
    Gfw,[p]Thanks -- I've tried your suggestion of opening the lid for awhile (a minute or so)...when I re-closed the lid, temp was about at 200, but quickly rose up to 310.[p]I did notice a fair amount of smoke coming from the Daisy wheel, so I've taken it off and replaced it with the original clay cap (hoping to restrict air flow further). I'll let you know how that works out.[p]Thanks again,
    Dan

Options
    Options
    Gfw, [p]Sorry -- forgot to mention that I was cooking direct :0
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    newbie,[p]Once the fire is started and the temp starts rise, start closing down the vents to limit the rise. Then raise to cooking temp.[p]Your Egg is hot and you will probably extinguish the fire in trying to drop the temp. Eggs cool down slowly. You may be able to use this in your cook as a closed Egg leaks so little as it kills the fire, thus it leaks so little as to contain the moisture. Cook as the Egg cools.[p]Spin

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    newbie,
    When the dome temp gets to 160* close the bottom vent to on opening of about 1/4" and the top to about 1/4". As the temp gets to about 200* start to close both vents down a little at a time until the bottom vent is open a little less than an 1/8" and the top just a slit. It works just fine on my clay Kamado version.

• JJ
    Options
    newbie,
    Cooking the ribs direct will require that you flip them abut every 45 min. Close that bottom vent to a slit and shut the top vent completely. The charcoal will not go out. There is enough air leaks in them to keep it going.

Options
    Thanks to all who responded -- I never could get the heat below 290 in my first eggsperience, ribs were dry but were compensated by nice cold beer.[p]From your posts, and from observing my Egg during cooking, I think I have a couple of things to try (and would like your opinion on):[p] > I lit the fire, and let it come to a full blaze before
    closing the draft door and vent (per the instructions
    that came with the Egg). At this point
    the temp was already 350. Do you think it would
    be better get the fire started, and immediately
    restrict the air flow?[p] > I also noticed that the dome lid doesn't lay
    exactly on the base -- there's about 1/16"
    clearance at the back hinge. I was wondering
    if this is a cause of draft (and the excessive
    heat).[p]Anyway -- thanks for the help, and what a great forum!

• JJ
    Options
    newbie,
    First do NOT allow the coals to get to full blaze. (Read my other posts to you, I went into full detail)[p]As for the dome not fitting tight. Loosen the bolts on the top band and allow the top to settle down on the bottom and then retighten the bolts.

Options
    JJ,[p]Thanks for the info, can't wait for the weekend to roll around again to get my Egg fired up. The Egg is a different animal for me, I've been used to full-up gas grills, and cheap tube smokers that can't retain the heat.[p]There was a post from "Tractor", about blowing a gasket -- is this a felt ring that acts as a gasket between the dome and the base, to seal the Egg? My clay Kamado just has the dome resting on the base when the top is closed (hence the small gap I noticed yesterday). Couldn't tell from the BGE site, or pictures on http://www.tm52.com/bge/.[p]Thanks again,
    Dan