Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PorckChop's debut and when you have these and 30 minutes you make this

Coated in course Kosher salt and let sit at RT for 1 hour.  Removed excess salt and patted dry.
Placed CI comal on coals and let get hot.  Seared the chops on all sides for about 1 minute to form a crust.  Moved to felt line and cooked direct at 400 until IT read 140 (about 8 minutes/the 4 sides).  Simple cook S&P only seasoning.
Served with arborio rice (next day's cook was bbq'd pork fried rice).  PorkChop is a keeper, very tasty and very lean for a heritage breed.  Larry got two more and they will be ready for slaughter by May
South Texas favorite cheese enchiladas (and it it not friday)
These and 30 minutes
yields this
Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx

Comments

• So I'm guessing pork chop was your first home raised pig?? In very interested in how that went.

Cook looks amazing.

XLBGE 
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    That's some tasty looking food! :-bd
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited October 2013
    So I'm guessing pork chop was your first home raised pig?? In very interested in how that went. Cook looks amazing.

Yes PorkChop and Bacon were our first try at doing our own. We bought them from the breeder who does only free ranged pasture raised Red Wattle pigs. They were young and just at slaughter weight. We bought them to see if we liked the taste of the breed. They were at slaughter weight, 400 pounds, so we only feed them for 2 weeks before slaughter. We fed them certified organic veggie based feed ($$)
    They are very lean without a lot of fat. The butcher kept remarking how lean they were. Larry has been so impressed that he just purchased two more piglets and has enlarged the pen from 10 acres to 20. He also plans to plant beets and and other root veggies for their forage. The plan is to keep them till spring and either use them for breed stock or slaughter.
  • R2. Thanks yes very tasty.
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Nicely done

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Those chops look great, Joan!

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Wow, Joan! That is aweseom. Pork chops look great. Did you keep the cheeks? Got any plans for those?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Thanks Chris and VI and Griffin
    Yes we did keep the cheeks from both PorkChop and Bacon, but I am not sure how I will cook em.  Any ideas?
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I've never cooked them, but I had them at Lavo in Las Vegas in a ravioli type pasta and they were amazing. If you can figure out how to cure them and make guanciale out of it, that is what is supposed to be used in carbonara, not bacon.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Those pork chops look excellent.  I never seem that thick in stores.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Really nice Joan! I guess if you had them for only two weeks you didn't get that close to them?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    edited October 2013
    We just reserved a grass fed grain finished steer from my uncle. It will be ready in February. I'd love to one day work slowly into having a few animals of my own.

If you don't mind sharing, how much was the slaughter? Get about 150 lbs of meat?

Edit:
    Just went and found where you brought the pigs home. Thanks for the info!

XLBGE 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    WOW Joan. Just wow.........................
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Griffin said:
    I've never cooked them, but I had them at Lavo in Las Vegas in a ravioli type pasta and they were amazing. If you can figure out how to cure them and make guanciale out of it, that is what is supposed to be used in carbonara, not bacon.

I've never made guanciale, but I have an uncle who has and shares with my parents.  It is just tremendously good, almost like a porkier/fattier bacon.  The recipe he uses is:

http://honest-food.net/2011/07/08/how-to-make-guanicale/

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Thanks Chris and VI and Griffin
    Yes we did keep the cheeks from both PorkChop and Bacon, but I am not sure how I will cook em.  Any ideas?

Joan,

Make Guanciale, trust me.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    With the next pigs, are you going to diversify their diet to get more fat on board? Talk about old school pork.
  • I love looking at these threads before lunch! Those chops and enchiladas look great! I hope I can make something like that some day!
    Houston, TX
  • Was Porkchop a Duroc?

XLBGE 
  • @ACN thanks for the link.  I don't have a second fridge, but I will pass it onto to #1 son and see what he says. 

@Eggcelsior We have been reading up on pigs and their diet in the wild.  They like root veggies. NIL is preparing their pasture this weekend.  They will eat meat, but everything we have read says don't give them meat based or corn based feeds.  The certified organic veggie feed we purchased was big $$$ but we will continue to use it as a finish food until we find something better.  We are new to pig raising we come from beef and horse breeding families.  
    We will stick to the Red Wattle cause they are easy to handle, grow fast and Texas hardy (think heat).  The downside is they are very lean with very little fat. But they are very tasty and very clean smelling (no pig funk smell when the vacuum bag was opened).  

@LS learned long ago I have a soft heart for furry things NIL says if you name what they are intended for it is easier to take them to slaughter....I didn't go .  

@MCNurse PorkChop was the smaller one on the right and dressed out at 128.  His sibling, Bacon, was a little larger and dressed out at 148.  The entire cost, including butchering was $2.24/ pound for us (paid extra to have the butcher vacuum seal) and I think NIL's cost was $2.14/pound (paper wrapped).  Not sure if there was any Duroc in these.  According to what we have read there may be a DNA link depending on the location of the breeder.  
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Wow - super informative thread and tasty looking too!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.