Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Antelope(pronghorn) recipes?

Options
My brother is bringing some antelope roasts, backstrap steaks, sirloins, and roast chucks from a hunt he just went on out west.  Anyone have any advice or recipes for these cuts?  I have never worked with wild game, let alone an antelope. All help is appreciated. 
LBGE
Zionsville, IN

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    No idea, but interested in what you end up doing with it. I'm guessing it will be fairly lean, so a braise for some of the cuts?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    The last antelope I got I made into breakfast sausage and hamburger. I did keep the backstrap for chicken fried steaks. 

Antelope to me is real gamey, I guess living in Texas the last 18 years has spoiled me.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• MrCookingNurse
    Options
    We've brought antelope back from hunting trips and I think we just did hamburger, sausage, and minute steak. It's been about 7 years and not exactly sure but don't remember any complaints!!

XLBGE 
  • HorseMover
    Options
    Antelope is about as lean as it gets...don't overcook it. Antelope is my favorite wildgame by far. I hear reports about it being gamey but I have never seen it. I have been told the gamey ones are from areas that the diet includes heavy sage. My antelope have come from Colorado and the Oklahoma panhandle. I pretty much pull the backstraps and turn the rest to burger but for backstraps a simple way to prepare is marinate in Italian dressing and worcestershire. Just enough wc to give the marinade a slight brown color. Marinate for 30/45 minutes max. Throw it on the egg and enjoy but don't overcook.
    Albion, PA
  • HorseMover
    Options
    I have also made poppers. You can slice and stuff the entire backstrap but I prefer cutting thin sections...maybe 1/4". Pound flat and marinate in Italian dressing. Pull and stuff with onion, cream cheese and a jalapeno slice or two. Roll it up wrap in bacon and spear with a toothpick.
    Albion, PA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Never had it, but I'd probably do like @TUTTLE871  and chicken fry it. Or @HorseMover idea sounds pretty good. Whatever you do, take pictures. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options

Have to agree with HorseMover - one of my top 5 game meats.  We always do our backstraps in Italian dressing, Worcestershire and garlic then grill to mid-rare.  Ground up makes great chili.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • JVAV
    JVAV Posts: 18
    Options
    I cut the back straps into a filet type medallion and either bacon wrap with s&p or just s&p and grill or on the cast iron and grind the rest into sausage. If you think its gamey you can marinate in milk, I'll usually marinate overnight in milk and there isn't the slightest hint of game. Medium rare is ideal for moistness but I've cooked med/med well and had them come out OK. I've only had Colorado antelope so not sure if that makes any difference.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    Pronghorn to me is one of, if not THE finest game meat there is.  The most important thing is to not harvest them when they are running or have been pushed.  Get the hide off and the meat cooled within 30 minutes and you will have good eats.  If you shoot it and haul it around with the hide on in the back of your truck all day it will be double nasty.

We enjoy the tenderloins grilled medium rare and served with a mushroom sauce.  The roasts I usually slice for jerky, but have done pulled meat with and it is very good.  For the ground meat it makes some of the best chili you will ever have.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • HorseMover
    Options
    I usually make my chili with venison but tried it with speed goat burger and it was amazing.  Thats why I pull the backstraps and grind the rest now.  Good stuff!
    Albion, PA
  • Eggucator
    Eggucator Posts: 226
    Options
    Thanks for the help.  I am really looking forward to it now.  Looks like we will give the back strap a try and ground the rest for chili.  
    LBGE
    Zionsville, IN