Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wood chunks with Butt?

roa71
roa71 Posts: 3
Smoking two butts tomorrow am on my large egg.  I have some mesquite chunks and some apple chunks.  Should I use either of these when cooking slow and low?  Will it help or hurt the taste or not make a difference?

If so, should I layer the chunks in with the lump.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks, Rick

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I am not a mesquite fan so my vote is apple. I would spread 3-4 chunks throughout the lump so you get smoke during the majority of the cook

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I agree- it is a matter of opinion by I like mesquite on red meat only.  I would go with the apple.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    I always add smoke wood. I mix a few chunks in the with the charcoal.  I'll also add one chunk right on the fire just before I add the meat. 

I've used both woods for making butts.  Mesquite gives a heavier smoke.  I tend to use apple more for pork. If you don't know what your tolerance for smoke is, use the apple and just a chunk or two.  After you try the result, you can decide to use more or different chunks on your next cook.

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887

Agreed.  In my opinion, mesquite imparts a strong flavor, and I only like it on beef, such as brisket or Tri-Tip.  I've found apple to be much milder and better suited for pork.  A little yellow mustard and Dizzy Dust on the pork butt, 250-ish until it hits 200 IT, and then FTC for about 3-4 hours...a winner every time.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Got apple - use apple.  I prefer fruit or pecan wood with pork.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • roa71
    Apple it is.  Just picked some up today.  Will give it a try. 

You guys are awesome.

thanks!!

Salty Sam, you recommended 200 IT.  the first time i cooked, i pulled at 190, FTC'd and was good.  Think i should shoot for 200 instead?
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    If the bone pulls easily, it is done.  could be 190*, 195* or 200*. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • roa71
    Got it.  Thanks.  Will post some pics when done.
  • I have been using hickory for butts and really like it. Agree mesquite for red meat. I tried a mesquite pork loin and my family wouldnt touch it.
    Albion, PA
  • I usually shoot for 200-205. My first butts were 195 and they pulled easily. since I've gone to 205, the difference in the pull is night and day.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I think mesquite is too strong for pork, unless you really like that flavor I would go with the Apple.

Johns Creek, Georgia