Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SELL NOW?

2»

Comments

• I believe your issue is throwing the food on as soon as the egg gets to temp. You've got to let it stabilize. I light my egg, then start prepping food while fire starters are burning out (approx 5-8 min). I then close the dome and let her start heating up with vents wide open and no daisy wheel. I go back in for a few minutes to continue my prep. Keep an eye on your temp, it can get away from you. Get the temp set and let it stabilize for 10 minutes or so. From start to finish you can have your egg ready to cook on in 15 minutes. Charcoal does make a difference but I don't think it's the problem in your case.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Let's say your looking to MAINTAIN 400 degrees... I know it's just an approximate, but where would you put your bottom and top vents at?
  • How do u adjust temp, I know some use just the bottom, some just the top, some both...
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited October 2013
    Here is a good thread to give you a visual reference And BTW I am in the both vent camp unless cooking over 400*

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/746823/vent-settings-a-visual-guide

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited October 2013
    You sorta answered your own question.  Maintaining temp can be done on both vents or just one. 

2 examples of what works for me:
    250*:  bottom vent about 3/8" and DW holes 1/2 open
    400*: bottom vent about 1".  DW holes open.  ring with the DW holes slid to the side so that one edge is touching the edge of the DW outside (i.e., small crescent moon opening is created.)

Your egg may be a bit different but this gives you an idea of where the range might be.

Learning to control the temp is part of the experience.  Good news is that most things are not super sensitive to temp.  If you miss by 25*, you'll never notice any difference in taste and many things can be off 50* and come out fine; only the cook time is changed.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • grEGGorys
    grEGGorys Posts: 168
    When I first got my egg it came with a bag of BGE charcoal. SWMBO really liked the smoke flavor that it gave all the cooks. I bought several bags of Royal Oak charcoal when Walmart had a good sale on it. SWMBO missed the smoke flavor using it. So changing charcoal would probably really work for you if you will not miss the smoke flavor.
    Gulf Coast FL
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited October 2013
    I agree that temperature settings differ with different eggs, my buddy and I both have large eggs and when I cook on his the settings are different than mine. I like to start with the bottom vent 1/2 open and just the holes open on the daisy wheel, on my large that gives me 350 without the platesetter and 300 with the platesetter then I adjust from there. It will help you to know your starting place with a particular setting.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Buy a cheap charcoal grill and roll it out for the "smokeless"burgers. I have same issue with my wife. That''s what the gasser is for. To cut down on the smoke on the a Egg, I use Stubb's or B&B plain.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • Thanks all, vent pics were cool. Never thought any air wood even get in there with that small of an opening!