Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First cook on recently referbed kamoto cooker

Options
I managed to get my first cook done with the little cooker I recently redid, http://www.eggheadforum.com/discussion/1157403/first-post-i-have-already-gained-knowledge-from-yall-s-great-site. I had a really hard time keeping the temp down in this thing, it really wants to get up there, but it came out well. I had my main smokers running for the family reunion, but my little brother spiced up half of a Boston Butt and we put it on the little cooker.

I'm afraid these wont fit

But this one did without any problems

Little thing likes to run hot

I didnt manage to get pictures after the cook, I was feeding 50 folks and it took all my energy to process everything else I had going. But with some adjustments I think I can get this thing running really well. I'm going to make a cedar table on wheels for it so I can wheel it in and out of the basement.

If anyone has any pointers they can share from cooking on a small egg I would really appreciate it. I couldn't keep the temp below 300 without snuffing out the lump.

Thanks again
NGaHB

Comments

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Nice work on the restoration! What's the grill diameter? Looks similar in size to a Small BGE.
    It looks like you cooked that butt direct. I'd recommend that you see if you can get a Woo ring from the Ceramic Grill Store (http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com) and a ceramic stone to put in there so you can cook indirect at a lower temp.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • NorthGaHillbillly
    Options
    Its right at 13", so very similar to the small big green egg. I am planning on setting up a pizza stone soon, Ill have to look into the woo ring, I have seen them mentioned while surfing through the site, I'll have to look some more.

Thanks