Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mickey's turkey to a new level - IMO

GrannyX4
GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
edited October 2013 in EggHead Forum
I love Mickey's turkey rub and method for cooking turkey but it just got better and went to the top of the list for the best turkey.  I was going to do a beer brine, I bought the turkey and forgot the beer.  Slap head! So I did another brine:             

1 qt  water
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/3 cup molasses 
Brine for 24 hours.

Dry and rub with Micky's coffee rub.

Just when you thought it couldn't get any better.  

Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !

Comments

• SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887

My mind just exploded.  Can't wait to try this!  Bookmarked.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I could eat that picture. Looks terrific!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Ok, That looks very good.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• GrannyX4
    edited October 2013
    Mickey said:
    Ok, That looks very good.
    Your rub topped it off. A great combination.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Granny... Forgot the beer? For shame, for shame. :-SS
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • GrannyX4
    But I didn't forget the mint for my mojitos! ;;)
  • henapple
    I've never had one?....
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    henapple said:

I've never had one?....

That's too bad.
  • henapple
    What's the concoction?
  • Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    How did you cook it? Looks awesome.
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • GrannyX4
    henapple said:
    What's the concoction?
    Mint, simple sugar, lime, rum and sparkling water. Great drink for floating in the hot tub.

• GrannyX4
    Aquacop said:
    How did you cook it? Looks awesome.

Raised grate, direct, at 400 degrees to a temp of 160.
  • That just shot to the top of the to cook list =D>
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    henapple said:

I've never had one?....

That's no good. You need to fix yourself.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Can I get a link to the coffee rub? And some other suggestions for smoking a bird this week. We just spent the last 3 months moving and I'm excited to finally break my egg out and do some cooking.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    edited November 2013
    Here's Mickey's
    Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork) Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee Equal part: Brown Sugar ½ part: Black Pepper ½ part: Kosher Salt ½ part: Garlic Powder ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.

Here's my recipe, very similar with a few more ingredients, both are very good.

1 Tbs. finely ground espresso coffee beans 

1 Tbs. pure ancho chile powder

1 tsp. natural cocoa powder 
    1 tsp. granulated garlic 
    1/2 tsp. ground cumin 
    1/2 tsp. brown sugar 
    1/2 tsp. ground fennel seed 
    1/8 tsp. ground allspice 
    4 tsp. kosher salt 
    2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper 

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • brycos
    brycos Posts: 137
    Is this rub anything like Dizzy Pig coffee rub? Never tried it but a dealer near me started selling it recently.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    edited November 2013
    @ brycos 
    Red Eye Express by DP is similar. The ingredients say coffee, not espresso. It would be a good one to try if you didn't want to make one of ours to see if you like the flavor, before making you own.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    @GrannyX4 - was this a fresh bird that you brined? I've never brined a turkey before and this one is a fresh organic. This is for my wife's family Thanksgiving and they all have HIGH expectations when I make something on the egg.

I mixed up the brine per your ratio but I had to make quite a bit more to cover the bird. I ended up with tripling your brine amount. I just don't want it to be too salty. The bird has been in brine for about 20 hrs right now and I'm thinking of taking it out. I plan to rinse it thoroughly to try to remove a bit of the salt. What do you think? Any advice appreciated.

Thanks. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • GrannyX4
    Turkey was a fresh turkey beast. I didn't think it was too salty but by all means rinse if you are sensitive to salt and then air dry in fridge. Where did my picture go? ;;)
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Thanks Granny - just finished rinsing and spatchcocking. Going to dry with paper towels and lay in the fridge uncovered until 3:00 tomorrow afternoon. Then rub with Mickey's Coffee Rub. That rub smells amazing!
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • GrannyX4
    The molasses in the brine enhanced the flavors of the rub and was a good thing. Hope you like it as much as we did. Happy Turkey Day! >:D<