Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Wood chunks with Butt?

roa71roa71 Posts: 3
Smoking two butts tomorrow am on my large egg.  I have some mesquite chunks and some apple chunks.  Should I use either of these when cooking slow and low?  Will it help or hurt the taste or not make a difference?

If so, should I layer the chunks in with the lump.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks, Rick

·

Comments

• Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,841
    I am not a mesquite fan so my vote is apple. I would spread 3-4 chunks throughout the lump so you get smoke during the majority of the cook

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,860
    I agree- it is a matter of opinion by I like mesquite on red meat only.  I would go with the apple.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • Ragtop99Ragtop99 Posts: 1,360
    I always add smoke wood. I mix a few chunks in the with the charcoal.  I'll also add one chunk right on the fire just before I add the meat. 

I've used both woods for making butts.  Mesquite gives a heavier smoke.  I tend to use apple more for pork. If you don't know what your tolerance for smoke is, use the apple and just a chunk or two.  After you try the result, you can decide to use more or different chunks on your next cook.

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
    ·
  • SaltySamSaltySam Posts: 414

Agreed.  In my opinion, mesquite imparts a strong flavor, and I only like it on beef, such as brisket or Tri-Tip.  I've found apple to be much milder and better suited for pork.  A little yellow mustard and Dizzy Dust on the pork butt, 250-ish until it hits 200 IT, and then FTC for about 3-4 hours...a winner every time.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

·
  • GATravellerGATraveller Posts: 1,676
    Got apple - use apple.  I prefer fruit or pecan wood with pork.
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees." 
    -Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Peachtree Corners, GA
    ·
  • roa71roa71 Posts: 3
    Apple it is.  Just picked some up today.  Will give it a try. 

You guys are awesome.

thanks!!

Salty Sam, you recommended 200 IT.  the first time i cooked, i pulled at 190, FTC'd and was good.  Think i should shoot for 200 instead?
    ·
  • Ragtop99Ragtop99 Posts: 1,360
    If the bone pulls easily, it is done.  could be 190*, 195* or 200*. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
    ·
  • roa71roa71 Posts: 3
    Got it.  Thanks.  Will post some pics when done.
    ·
  • I have been using hickory for butts and really like it. Agree mesquite for red meat. I tried a mesquite pork loin and my family wouldnt touch it.
    Albion, PA
    ·
  • I usually shoot for 200-205. My first butts were 195 and they pulled easily. since I've gone to 205, the difference in the pull is night and day.
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,666
    I think mesquite is too strong for pork, unless you really like that flavor I would go with the Apple.

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

·