Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Frozen Wings just fine

Options
Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,674
Did this before and could not remember how it worked out. Sunday late Linda wanted a chicken breast so cranked up the Mini. While it was cooking (about two mins left) I thought wings would be nice and had about a doz frozen in the garage. So pulled her chicken and just dumped the wings on Mini. Had a bottle go Bone Sucking Sauce Rub that had not been used. So after about three mins flipped wings and applied rub to soft side. About three mins later flipped once more and applied rub again. The wings cooked up just fine from pure frozen state. The Bone Sucking Sauce Rub was very mild, just like the sauce that I mix 50/50 with Blues Hog for BBQ chicken anyway. About every 3 months I pull a bag full of rubs and take to work, it will be in the next bag. Ok, this was a long way to say if no time just put the frozen wings ( or breast) on the Egg.
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Interesting. I know you can do a butt from frozen, never thought about wings.

BTW, just sent you a PM. Check your messages.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Any issue with the skin not being crisp enough?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Ah, good to know! Thanks. Also, looks like they turned out fantastic. :))

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Didn't burn doing them direct?
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Ragtop99 said:
    I do wings raised direct with a dome temp around 370-375* without burning.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Good tip @Mickey.  FWIW I have also done a grilled chicken breast from frozen.  Very similar to what you said- I threw it on frozen, flipped after a few minutes, seasoned the defrosted side, flipped, etc.  It wasn't the best I have made but passable in a hurry! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Now that's a useful tip. Thanks.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ragtop99
    Options
    Ragtop99 said:
    I do wings raised direct with a dome temp around 370-375* without burning.
    I've done them that way too, just never started with a frozen wing.
  • Big Ragu
    Big Ragu Posts: 148
    Options

Great info!!!!   I am a bulk buyer so I rarely have anything fresh.  

Hey anybody remember those "thaw plates from the early 90's"?

• Ragtop99
    Options
    Big Ragu said:

Hey anybody remember those "thaw plates from the early 90's"?

I have something like that.  It works faster than just letting the food sit on a regular plate or cutting board.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

Tossing out of the bulk frozen bag onto the hot Egg is fast.....

400 raised direct

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.