Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egging drunk and stupid

Comments

• The stupidest thing I've done that's BBQ related happened a number of years ago.  Me & my buddy were over-serving ourselves and I decided I would fire up the Weber kettle.  Whether I was out of lighter fluid or just plain thought it would be cool, I decided to use Coleman White Gas to get the fire going in short order!  It took a while for the tip of my nose to stop being a blister and quite a bit longer to grow new eyebrows.  Good times... 
    Flint, Michigan
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Raymont said:
    @Mickey. That's a nice clean burn! Ceramic is all nice and white. Also, those are some great looking ABT's! What did you stuff them with? :-O

em are wings
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Ljpick
    Ljpick Posts: 38
    edited October 2013
    Put a butt on one night then spent a couple hours in hot tub drinkinging a few barley pops and smoking a stogie. Opened egg before going to bed and DW went wide open. Didnt realize it and did not set high temp alarm on Maverick. Woke up to a 425 egg and shriveled butt.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Hehe... You said shriveled butt.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Seanr7
    Seanr7 Posts: 207
    Luckily I can't remember most of my drunk stories. Unfortunately my friends can.
    XL BGE
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Learned not to try and flatten a pizza dough by putting a pizza stone on top without a barrier. Got to be careful when EWI. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1154825/perils-of-ewi#latest
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    U_tarded said:
    i had picked up the dog doo-doo in the yard and was in the middle of tying one on.  went to light the egg, need a top off of lump, i had tossed the dog poo in an empty royal oak bag, needless to say i grabbed the wrong bag and into the egg went lots of poo.  i was still clear headed enough to clean it out before lighting it up.

YOU WIN and I can't make it to your house for dinner.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• In reading some of these really great f-ups, I'd like to throw in another, non-Egg stories that just happened last weekend.

At sister-in-law's for family shindig. I'm always on grill duty. She has 2 Weber kettles and a my old gas grill. Neighbors were all streaming in as "Eric's grilling so bring your meat and he'll take care of it." I've had waaaaaaay too much vino and a couple of shots with the neighbors and was in a deprecated grilling state.

I had all 3 grills going with flank steak, rib eye, venison, chicken thighs and chicken breasts cooking simultaneously. It was insane. To my utter disbelief, all meats were cooked perfectly and I cannot tell you how I did it. Folks I barely knew were slapping me on the back saying "great work" and I can barely stand.

Isn't sh*t-faced drunk the way Richard Burton did his greatest acting performances?

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,662
    ive discovered you can do an over night low and slow without the lump grate. even drunk and stupid you can learn something
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I've got some of those plastic silicon type meat handling gloves. Great for grabbing a brisket or a pork shoulder or a turkey straight off the Egg. Few bourbons in and I learned that they are not so great at grabbing a hot metal grate straight off the Egg. Saved the food, burned the gloves and my fingertips. Got quite a lot of laughs, though. The gloves now have round indentions in them from the metal food grate that I pulled. :D

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    @Griffin, I have gloves like that, same reason :)
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Seanr7 said:

Luckily I can't remember most of my drunk stories. Unfortunately my friends can.

Been married 20 years and my wife remembers all my drunk stories.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    bicktrav said:
    Was a few beers in during a pizza night with friends.  The egg was up near 700.  I felt it needed more lump, so I decide to reach in and take out the platesetter to re-fill it.  As if that wasn't stupid enough, I used a pretty standard oven mitt, one that had a sort of rubber padding on the end to handle a max-heat of probably around 300 degrees.  I grabbed the platesetter.  Smoke everywhere.  Burning rubber smoke.  I didn't realize what was going on at first.  Finally, the platesetter starts burning my hand.  I put it down and I notice a thick tar all over it.  The rubber from the mitt had liquidized and melted into it.  Needless to say, pizza night was over.  Had to buy a new platesetter that wasn't saturated with rubber.
    lucky.........could have been bad

Very lucky.  Agreed.
    Southern California
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    What I do drunk with my Egg stays in my Egg.  :)>-

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• bud812 said:

I'm glad @U-tarded didn't do that. He removed the turds. C'mon Bud Tell us about it. With Homer Simpson as your avatar, I bet it's pretty funny.
    Flint, Michigan
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    I'm glad @U-tarded didn't do that. He removed the turds. C'mon Bud Tell us about it. With Homer Simpson as your avatar, I bet it's pretty funny.
    yea Bud tell us, I mean, it can't be worse than dog poo.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Some separate and some merely dump...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Sorry, I can't do it. (there might be a law against it)  ~:>

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    This used to happen alot before I got my Egg and was cooking on my side by side smoker.  That thing needed to be babysat and monitored during the entire cook.
    Would sit on the patio and drink while it smoked.  I missed a few meals because I wanted to keep drinking rather than eat.
    The Egg has minimized this in that I can do other constructive things while it cooks and not have to drink like a madman the entire time.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    YEMTrey said:

The Egg has minimized this in that I can do other constructive things while it cooks and not have to drink like a madman the entire time.

Don't tell my wife this!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    The water powered spit is awesome. 
    :@)
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Glad to see I;m not the only one who Eggs While Intoxicated
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • one day, I set up a rig like this, and I was so drunk I didn't read the reports about the flash flooding....

http://i.imgur.com/mUfAlSK.jpg
    This has Centex written all over it.......hey, Ya'll watch this sh*t!

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    one day, I set up a rig like this, and I was so drunk I didn't read the reports about the flash flooding....

This has Centex written all over it.......hey, Ya'll watch this sh*t!

I was thinking the same thing - only about me and my son on our next camping trip.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    one day, I set up a rig like this, and I was so drunk I didn't read the reports about the flash flooding....

That was a good idea in theory... :((

Johns Creek, Georgia