Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pupu platter and peppersteak

Village Idiot
Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
edited October 2013 in EggHead Forum
I wanted to make a special meal for my niece and grandnieces.  Over the last few days, I made egg rolls, shrimp toast, wontons, and crab rangoon, then froze them.  For the meal, I thawed them out for frying.  Also, I sous vide spare ribs for 48 hours at 165.  Prior to serving, I broiled the ribs, basting with Chinese BBQ sauce.  I would have finished them on the Egg, but it was busy at the time.

On the egg, I made shrimp fried rice and peppersteak.

Here are the results.  Everything was homemade, including all of the sauces.
Note: on the top of the peppersteak is a fun trick I learned on the internet.  Slice the green parts of green onions to very thin slivers.  Then, put them in a bowl of ice water.  They will curl up for a great garnish.

Not pictured is the shrimp fried rice and wonton soup.

Pupu platter with sweet and sour sauce

Peppersteak

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,736
    incredible looking food you got there
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    Outstanding looking food and pictures!
    Duncan, SC
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Awesome. Just awesome ^:)^

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    edited October 2013
    Oh my!!

I am calculating my drive time right now from Dallas to your front door. ^:)^

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• You had me at "egg roll". Exquisite VI!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Good lord man!  That looks restaurant quality.  I'm sure it was outstanding!  I love Asian food!  I would love the recipe if you wouldn't mind sharing your knowledge

LRG BGE

Columbia, SC

• Tailwind said:
    Good lord man!  That looks restaurant quality.  I'm sure it was outstanding!  I love Asian food!  I would love the recipe if you wouldn't mind sharing your knowledge
    Thanks.  Which recipe(s) were you interested in?

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Tailwind said:
    Good lord man!  That looks restaurant quality.  I'm sure it was outstanding!  I love Asian food!  I would love the recipe if you wouldn't mind sharing your knowledge
    Thanks.  Which recipe(s) were you interested in?
    Pepper steak would be greatly appreciated my man!  Looks amazing.  That would be the only thing I would think out of the menu that would perhaps be on my skill level!

LRG BGE

Columbia, SC

• Tailwind said:

That would be the only thing I would think out of the menu that would perhaps be on my skill level!
    I doubt that.

I'm not sure, but I think I got the recipe from The Pioneer Woman's website.  But then, when I went back later to reference it, it was gone.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ingredients:

1 1/2 pounds Flank steak, Very thin sliced

1/2 cup Soy Sauce, Low sodium

3 tablespoons Shao Hsing rice wine

2 tablespoons Brown sugar, packed

2 tablespoons Cornstarch

1 tablespoon Ginger, minced

2 cloves Garlic, minced

1 teaspoon Red Chile paste, or few dashes red chile oil

2 tablespoons Oil  , peanut

1 medium Onion , yellow, sliced

2 Red Bell Pepper, cored and sliced into rings

1 tablespoon Jalapeno , diced

Red pepper flakes, for sprinkling (optional)

Cilantro

Directions:

1. Mix together soy sauce, sherry, brown sugar, cornstarch, ginger, garlic, and chili paste (or chili oil.) Place sliced beef in the mixture and toss to coat. Set aside.

2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high to high heat. When it is very hot, throw in the onions and cook for less than a minute. Remove to a separate plate.

3. Return skillet to flame, allow to reheat, and add bell peppers (and hot pepper/jalapeno if using.) Cook for a minute, tossing, until peppers have brown/black bits but are still firm. Remove to a plate.

4. Return skillet to heat and allow to get hot. Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the skillet. Add 1/3 of the meat mixture, evenly distributing over the surface of the skillet. Allow to sit for 20 to 30 seconds, then turn with tongs. Cook for another 30 seconds, then remove to a separate plate. Repeat with remaining meat until all brown.

5. Reduce heat to low. Add all meat, onions, and peppers to the skillet and toss to combine.

6. Pour in remaining sauce (the sauce the meat marinated in*) and stir. Allow to simmer on low for a few minutes. Sauce will slowly thicken. 

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Man I am getting really hungry.  Thanks for the recipe!  I can't wait to cook it.

LRG BGE

Columbia, SC

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    I love you man.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Grand slam

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• @Tailwind I forgot to mention.  Usually, I make two batches of the sauce.  I use one for cooking, and one to pour over the peppersteak after it's on the plate.  I'm a "sauce guy", and this sauce is tasty.  I didn't do it last night because we had company and I had a lot of things going on.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• @village idiot Thanks for the advice and for sharing the love!

LRG BGE

Columbia, SC

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    edited October 2013
    All that and still snapped a picture! Looks great....thanks for sharing. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Beautiful!

Thanks for the recipe. Can I bother for the recipe for the sauce on the platter too? I have your fried rice recipe filed away, it's high time I tried it.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Cal,
    In every single case so far, I have found making your own sauce is 10 times better than any store bought sauce you can buy.  This is sweet and sour sauce.

Ingredients:

5 tablespoons Sugar

1/2 teaspoon Salt

4 tablespoons Vinegar, Distilled, white

3 tablespoons Light Soy Sauce

2 tablespoons Shao Hsing rice wine

3 tablespoons Ketchup

2 tablespoons Peanut Oil

1 large clove Garlic, Peeled & lightly crushed

1 tablespoon Cornstarch, dissolved in 3 tablespoons water

1 tablespoon Sesame Oil

1/2 cup Water

1 tablespoon Honey, (optional)

Directions:

1. Combine the sugar, salt, vinegar, soy, sherry, and ketchup in a bowl and stir until sugar is dissolved.  In a separate small bowl, combine the cornstarch/water mixture with the sesame oil and set aside.

2. Heat the peanut or vegetable oil in a medium saucepan set over moderate heat until hot.  Add in the garlic and stir, pressing on the clove until aromatic and lightly browned.

3. Pour in the sauce slowly and stir with the back of a wooden spoon until the liquid comes to a boil.  Turn the heat down to low and add in the cornstarch mixture, stirring until sauce begins to thicken.  Add in the water slowly, stirring until the sauce is smooth and bubbly.  

4. Turn off the heat and set aside to cool.  The sauce can be made in advance as it holds well in the refrigerator for many days and can be frozen for weeks without losing flavor.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Superb meal!  pupu platters were a favorite of mine growing up but I think that was because I liked playing with the fire for the pot in the middle of the tray. 

I need to try sous vide on ribs again.  I only tried once and we didn't like the texture but we used the shortest recommended time.  I need to go long like you did on the ribs. 
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • @NibbleMeThis Sous videing the ribs is something I'm going to play with.  Cooking it at 165 for 48 hours made it "fall off the bone" tender, which is normally a great thing.  However, the Chinese ribs are finger food, and I don't think you want the quite that tender.  Luckily, broiling them and basting with sauce seemed to firm them up a bit.

My niece said they were the best Chinese ribs she has ever eaten.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Amazing job... My sous vide equipment should be here on Saturday. I can't wait to play with it. Also, thanks for posting the sauce recipes. I'm a sauce guy to and those sound great!
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• Superb cook.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx