Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why you need to make your own vanilla extract - beaver butt

Options
Homemade vanilla extract makes a great gift, and I've been making it for years. Here's a great reason to make your own. http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com/2013/10/01/beaver-butts-emit-goo-used-for-vanilla-flavoring/

Comments

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    interesting - i use vanilla all the time   X(
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Wow. Who would have thought the national animal emblem of my country has a butt that emits goo used for vanilla flavouring? Learn something every day. Thanks Tj - I'll stick to your great extract, thanks for the lead on the beans. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Just don't tell VI. I have two bottles of his outstanding elixir and like them just fine without beaver butt juice.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Wow, never saw that one coming. I'm definitely going to make my own but at least Kirkland brand doesn't list any "natural flavoring" on the ingredients.
    Dunedin, FL
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    That's odd; I've eaten a lot of beaver and never noticed a vanilla taste.  :-?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options

That's odd; I've eaten a lot of beaver and never noticed a vanilla taste.  :-?

They must have been very clean.