Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Why you need to make your own vanilla extract - beaver butt

Homemade vanilla extract makes a great gift, and I've been making it for years. Here's a great reason to make your own. http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com/2013/10/01/beaver-butts-emit-goo-used-for-vanilla-flavoring/

Comments

• GATABITESGATABITES Posts: 963
    interesting - i use vanilla all the time   X(
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Reisterstown, MD
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,286
    Wow. Who would have thought the national animal emblem of my country has a butt that emits goo used for vanilla flavouring? Learn something every day. Thanks Tj - I'll stick to your great extract, thanks for the lead on the beans. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 15,796
    Just don't tell VI. I have two bottles of his outstanding elixir and like them just fine without beaver butt juice.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max +++ 5th Salado EggFest is March 14, 2015 http://saladoeggheadgathering.blogspot.com

·
  • yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
    Wow, never saw that one coming. I'm definitely going to make my own but at least Kirkland brand doesn't list any "natural flavoring" on the ingredients.
    Dunedin, FL
    ·
  • That's odd; I've eaten a lot of beaver and never noticed a vanilla taste.  :-?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

That's odd; I've eaten a lot of beaver and never noticed a vanilla taste.  :-?

They must have been very clean.
    ·