Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advice: Indirect on a Medium

Options

My father in law has a medium and he doesn't have indirect capabilty yet. It's a stock medium at this point. I am torn between getting him a placesetter or going with a medium woo. Woo has more functionality (both indirect or raised direct), but by the time you add in the pizza stone (x2 if wanting to do pizza) and drip pan, it gets overly costly. What are your thoughts?

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    Options
    It might be more than the plate setter, but you are getting a lot more. I wish I had a woo for my small and not a PS.

XLBGE 
  • MarkR7
    MarkR7 Posts: 3
    Options
    Get him some firebricks, and a second grid; he'll be good to go. That's what I do with my MBGE.
    Raymont said:

My father in law has a medium and he doesn't have indirect capabilty yet. It's a stock medium at this point. I am torn between getting him a placesetter or going with a medium woo. Woo has more functionality (both indirect or raised direct), but by the time you add in the pizza stone (x2 if wanting to do pizza) and drip pan, it gets overly costly. What are your thoughts?

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Medium Woo. 
    My medium came in a package deal with a platesetter, otherwise I would have bought the Woo.  I use the Woo with a pizza stone on my XL and it works great.  It also provides a stable raised direct platform.

You'll want a drip pan with the platesetter, so that does not effect the cost equation.

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Bustersdad
    Options
    I'm like @MarkR7, although I have a large, I have used fire bricks and an extra grate from Home Depot all along. Works great
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Many lovers of the woo setup on here. For redneck cheap and simple, wrap 2 bricks in foil, get an extra grid (Weber, etc.) and a terracotta clay saucer from HD/Lowes gardening section. Should cost less than $20 if even that.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Options
    +1 for the Woo
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Happy whichever way you go. Used both, bought my woo used, sold it to a guy who loves gadgets and is always looking for the ideal set-up. The possibilities are almost endless and it is a good tool. I now use my setter for all indirect cooks. 
    Check with a dealer for a discounted setter, depending on where you are and how long you can wait you may get a great deal. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    Options
    I've done the fire bricks in my Medium, but made the switch to the Woo.  It's the best option for me!
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles