Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Flat Iron Steak Help

Smoke DiverSmoke Diver Posts: 66
edited 11:54AM in EggHead Forum
Our local Kroger had a special on flat iron steaks. I picked one up to try. What is the difference between a flat iron steak and a flank steak and how do you recommend that I prepare it?[p]Thanks.[p]Smoke Diver

• HaggisHaggis Posts: 998
    Smoke Diver,[p]Cook it TRex style - that is, hot sear followed by a roast at lower temps. Its a great cut! I often use Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express on this because the meat has so much flavor. [p]Regarding comparisons with flank - it is much less striated but is otherwise similar - I often cook flank steaks the same way.
  • ChubbyChubby Posts: 2,939
    Smoke Diver,[p]I woould agree with most of what Haggis said below![p]You can also get your Egg to about 500 (direct) and just grill (flipping every 3-4 minutes) for about 12-16 mins...depending on your likes.[p]P10100272-1.jpg[p]You'll get gereat resaults either way![p]It's cut specifically to be inexpensive...but very tender, and it is.[p]One of the few meats I'll buy at Kroger.[p]Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • This is where the Thermapen comes in handy I use mine on everything but it is best on Flat iron steak to get it to the right temp to pull and serve I usually pull mine at 145* and that is perfect for us.
     1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 7,239
    Diggin' up posts 6 years old ...

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook