Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Flat Iron Steak Help

Smoke DiverSmoke Diver Posts: 66
edited 8:40PM in EggHead Forum
Our local Kroger had a special on flat iron steaks. I picked one up to try. What is the difference between a flat iron steak and a flank steak and how do you recommend that I prepare it?[p]Thanks.[p]Smoke Diver
·

Comments

• HaggisHaggis Posts: 998
    Smoke Diver,[p]Cook it TRex style - that is, hot sear followed by a roast at lower temps. Its a great cut! I often use Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express on this because the meat has so much flavor. [p]Regarding comparisons with flank - it is much less striated but is otherwise similar - I often cook flank steaks the same way.
    ·
  • ChubbyChubby Posts: 2,790
    Smoke Diver,[p]I woould agree with most of what Haggis said below![p]You can also get your Egg to about 500 (direct) and just grill (flipping every 3-4 minutes) for about 12-16 mins...depending on your likes.[p]P10100272-1.jpg[p]You'll get gereat resaults either way![p]It's cut specifically to be inexpensive...but very tender, and it is.[p]One of the few meats I'll buy at Kroger.[p]Evans
    ·
  • This is where the Thermapen comes in handy I use mine on everything but it is best on Flat iron steak to get it to the right temp to pull and serve I usually pull mine at 145* and that is perfect for us.

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,920
    Diggin' up posts 6 years old ...

Richardson, Texas