Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flat Iron Steak Help

Options
Smoke Diver
Smoke Diver Posts: 70
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Our local Kroger had a special on flat iron steaks. I picked one up to try. What is the difference between a flat iron steak and a flank steak and how do you recommend that I prepare it?[p]Thanks.[p]Smoke Diver
Smoke Diver

Comments

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Smoke Diver,[p]Cook it TRex style - that is, hot sear followed by a roast at lower temps. Its a great cut! I often use Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express on this because the meat has so much flavor. [p]Regarding comparisons with flank - it is much less striated but is otherwise similar - I often cook flank steaks the same way.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    Smoke Diver,[p]I woould agree with most of what Haggis said below![p]You can also get your Egg to about 500 (direct) and just grill (flipping every 3-4 minutes) for about 12-16 mins...depending on your likes.[p]P10100272-1.jpg[p]You'll get gereat resaults either way![p]It's cut specifically to be inexpensive...but very tender, and it is.[p]One of the few meats I'll buy at Kroger.[p]Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • CajunEggHead
    Options
    This is where the Thermapen comes in handy I use mine on everything but it is best on Flat iron steak to get it to the right temp to pull and serve I usually pull mine at 145* and that is perfect for us.

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Diggin' up posts 6 years old ...