Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Owning Cattle

MrCookingNurse
MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
edited October 2013 in EggHead Forum
Just placed an order in for a whole beef that will be slaughtered in February. We will split it with in-laws. Grass feed, grain finished hormone free.

Going to be buying a new deep freeze as well.

Brings me to my question. We will hopefully have a couple head a cattle ourself in the next few years.

Does anyone on here have cattle? For beef.

XLBGE 

Comments

• I used to in the 70s and 80s.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    We've raised beef for generations. We used to dairy and raised Holstein bull calves for steers. Always butchered about one per year for our own use. Since getting out of dairying 10 yrs ago, we now buy feeder cattle and finish them out. We finish a mix of breeds - Angus, Hereford, Swiss, Holstein, Jersey, you name it! Jersey actually make for really good beef. Very tender and tasty - but the fat is yellowish compared to most other breeds which would tend to turn off some people.

We try to consume our beef so we run out of everything about the same time - burger, steaks, and roasts. Once we miscalculated and ran out of burger about 6 weeks before anything else. First time in my life that I had to purchase ground beef at the grocery store. We bought a 5 lb package and divided it up at home. That was some of the worst tasting burger that I have ever had in my life. Even tried killing the taste by making chili with it and that didn't even work. Ended up throwing the rest out for the cats to eat. Strange thing was - the cheapest crap that Wal Mart had ended up tasting the best (actually, the least awful). 
  • @twlangan

Awesome man. That's what I'm wanting to start out with. The beef we eat now is my cousins. We have perfect access to organic beef, but I'd like to have a hobby farm at our next house. My father in law did what you are talking about and would get dairy bull calves and raise them for beef. I wouldn't be doing it to "save" money, but I'd enjoy raising my own and knowing what my family is eating. It's also nice to go to the deep freeze and pull out whatever you want!

How much is a good calf running?

XLBGE 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    We got rid of all the cows at the ranch a few years back. FIL says he wants to get some more and get started again. Can't wait. I'll probably end up with all the briskets as the rest of the family has not idea what to do with them. :D

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Like VI we used to buy heavy beef hung for 30 days back in the 70/80's. May I make a suggestion. Have an alarm or a frozen cup with a coin on top to be sure you know of problem with power on that freezer.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

+1 on the cup and the coin. Great trick, especially if you live in an area where hurricanes may hit.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I do it as mine is in the garage.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• 3sheets
    3sheets Posts: 81
    Mickey said:
    Like VI we used to buy heavy beef hung for 30 days back in the 70/80's. May I make a suggestion. Have an alarm or a frozen cup with a coin on top to be sure you know of problem with power on that freezer.
    Never had heard of the cup and coin process and had to google it.  That is a great idea.

Location 33.537588, -83.969298 (33.5 miles and 41 minutes SE of the Mothership)

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    MCN what will you do when you go on a vacation?

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    edited October 2013
    I'm sort of jealous. 

When we lived in Iowa, we had access to Amish-raised beef, chickens, turkeys, and pork. Best meat I've eaten. The turkeys used to be fabulous for Thanksgiving, and friends would often get together and buy a 1/4 or 1/2 side of beef. I wasn't as into bbq then as I am now, so I lament the missed opportunity of eating more great meat when it was available! Pork in Texas is not nearly as good as it was in Iowa.

I would love to retire (today!) as a gentleman farmer of sorts... maybe when I win the lottery.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • I would love to raise my own meat, however the wife would likely have named them all by then and have them sleeping in the house!

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• @aviator

That's something I'd have to do a little thinking but we have plenty of friends and family right here for baby sitters. I'm not talking about a large operation. Just a hobby farm a couple cows ad maybe some chickens and pigs. I've got some family that would split some cost and work load.

@mickey

Most definitely man. We usually get a 1/4 beef and it's not a great selection and we've always ran out. This will be a whole steer around 1600 lbs alive right now. We are going to split it between my in laws and sister in law.

Not going to the slaughter till February, going to make sure I get a tongue and they leave the briskests whole.

Anything else??

XLBGE 
  • My aunt named her steer and pig.
    Sir Loin and Dollars. She didnt have a problem putting them in the freezer.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Make sure you get the hanger (one per animal), get the sirloin flap, the tri-tip cut, the petite tender, flat iron cut and the scotch tender.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Living in Cedar Rapids, Iowa I am only a 1/2 hour drive from the Amana Meat Shop and less than an hour from Kalona where I can purchase Amish raised meat.  The Amana store carries some of the largest tri tips I have ever seen, but you need to let them know you want it about a week ahead.  They grow some really big beef down there, I think it is a Limosin (sp) cross.  Great flavor in all I have bought.  Grass fed and corn finished.  We also have access to Bud's Meat Market in Riverside, IA (future birthplace of Captain James T. Kirk for you Trekies) who seem to also have superior meats available.  That really works well as my daughter lives in Riverside and will bring meat up when she comes to visit here.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    There's a house I drive by every day that has atleast 20 cows and every day I wonder what a steak off one of them would taste like. Not sure why but they look like they would taste good. They are brown and white with longer hair on the top of their heads anyone know what kind they are?
  • Little Steven
    Lit said:
    There's a house I drive by every day that has atleast 20 cows and every day I wonder what a steak off one of them would taste like. Not sure why but they look like they would taste good. They are brown and white with longer hair on the top of their heads anyone know what kind they are?
    Too funny Lit. I drive by about four dairy farms with veal pens and maybe six beef farms, mostly angus but some kobe. I do a Pavlov's doggie drool thing looking at them in the fields.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Yeah those. What kind is that? See don't they look like they would taste good?
  • Little Steven
    edited October 2013
    One of the best...Herefords

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @bettysnephew - I lived in North Liberty and worked in Iowa City for a few years. Buds was the place where I first tasted smoked chicken, and they slaughtered a goat for us once. We bought chicken and turkeys from a farmer in Kalona. We missed the Iowa cut pork chops so much when we moved to Houston, that friends sent us a care package from the Amana Store. It was one of the best gifts ever!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    edited October 2013

@caliking:  If you are really hurting for some good Iowa meat, you can contact Rube's in Montour, IA.  I have sent several care packages to a pal in Maine.  They always arrive in good condition and he has been pleased with the quality.  I have eaten at their restaurant quite a few times and the meat is always high quality.  Rube's has a website.

https://rubessteaks.com

A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa