Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My First Brisket (and therefore My Best)

Options

I adopted a large BGE mid-summer this year and only had done grilling up until last week.

I was eager to try to smoke something and spent a lot of time online reading everything I could google on smoking ribs and brisket.

Last weekend I thought I'd start with some baby-back ribs. They turned out well so this weekend I tried a brisket.

I picked up a 13 pound whole Prime brisket at Costco Thursday evening. It wasn't much more in price than the Choice and looked good from what I could tell.

I hurried home, rinsed the brisket, padded dry, and trimmed the excess fat.

I decided to keep this first one simple. I covered the brisked with olive oil and added the BGE Dizzy Gourmet Cosmic Cow rub, wrapped it in Saran Wrap, and stored it overnight in the refrigerator with the intention to smoke it about 18 hours over Friday night/Saturday morning. I planned to keep it on the BGE the entire time with no foiling.

Friday after work, I started up the BGE and added 5 chunks of Hickory and some smattering of Apple wood chips.

At 4:52pm, I put the brisket on the grill, fat side down, above a disposable drip pan containing about an inch of water.

I set the DigiQ to 225 for the pit temp and tried to stablize.

At about 9pm and with the temp supposedly stablized, I went to bed with alarms set to go off periodically to do a temp check. At about 10:30pm the temp had dropped to 192 so here I go again messing with the vents. The DigiQ fan did not seem to adequately stoke the fire (found out later why).

Most rest of the night I kept adjusting the vents opening and closing looking for that sweet spot which really never came. At about 4am, the pit temp was down to 181. My fire was going out. I thought I had added plenty of charcoal but apparently not. I had to take the brisket off, add more lump charcoal, and restart the fire. I added more water to the drip pan and put the brisket back on the grill. I also insert the food probe at the time. The meat temp was 161. The BGE quickly attained the target pit temp but continued having to make slight vent adjustments when the pit temp would significantly rise or fall.

At about 9am the meat temp was at about 181 and about an hour later, it was 187. At 11am it was 188. With it not changing appreciably, I checked for tenderness with the food probe. It didn't seem quite ready. At noon it was still at 188 and again checked it with the food probe, this time it seemed ready. I was shooting for 195 but didn't think I was going to make it.

I took the brisket off at about noon after about 19 hours. Parts of the brisket looked like it was falling apart, obviously overdone in parts, but it looked and smelled awesome! I rested it for 2 hours in an ice chest, fat side on top.

What a wonder to be hold at first slice! The meat was tender, flavorful, and had an amazing smoke ring. What else could I have wanted? Well probably better temperature control and more sleep!

imageimageimageimage

Lessons learned:
#1 The meat temp is only a guide and the real test is the probe test.
#2 Regarding temperature control, read the owner's manual more closely. I finally realized the damper was closed on my blower. I need to keep that wide open for smoking at 225.

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Looks awesome and a killer smoke ring to boot!!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Looks good to me..

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Letz4wheel
    Options
    Ummm yeah, I hate that damper :) I left mine closed the first time also. Brisket looks good!
    Southern Indiana
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Nice and welcome to the forum. Where are you?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    Welcome aboard and great cook.  Enjoy the journey.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Look's great! Welcome aboard.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Charlesmaneri
    Options
    looks great I had to laugh about the damper I never left mine closed but when I 1st started using  mine it was January cold out side so wide open I used it and it worked perfectly then as winter turned to spring I was having trouble holding temp I would set pit temp for 225 and it would run up as hi as 350 so I called BBQ Guru and complained they asked me a few questions and then they asked about the damper and told me as the air temp rises that I have to start to close down the dampers in the summer I run the damper at 1/3rd I guess in the fall maybe 2/3rds and I know in the winter wide open it's amazing that something so trivial can have so much effect 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • andres1987
    Options
    looks awesome, great smoke ring. 
    Austin, Texas
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

Looks like you nailed it. Good looking brisket.

Welcome.

Might we have another Texan among us?

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • bccomstock
    Options
    Awesome!  You know it's going to be good when you're cutting it and the pieces don't want to stay together..
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com