Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP - how would you cook Korean Boneless Beef Ribs?

NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
My wife picked this up from Trader Joes and I have no idea how to cook it.  It looks to be thin.  My first thought was to do them inside on very hot cast iron skillet, but the package says "fire up the grill" so it is going on the BGE - because you dont have to ask me twice to "fire up the grill".  I know the picture is poor, but it says Korean Sesame Marinated Boneless Beef Ribs - thank you in advance!
Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• NDG
    Searched the forum with no luck, so I am going with the following, unless someone talks me out of it soon!
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Bool Kogi from Trader Joe's 

Heat Heat Sear on cast iron - then slice meat against grain into thin strips - place on lettuce wraps - ingredient follow:

- hearts of romaine (for wraps)
    - cabbage & carrot mix (tossed in mix of soy, sesame oil, honey, garlic) 
    - crushed peanuts
    - bean sprouts
    - green onion
    - peanut sauce
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    never done the packged stuff so no idea whatt the meat actually is. have made them from strips of sirlion, and seared hot in a wok. might cut a strip off and sear like terryaki over flames as well. i would cut a strip off and sear it before cooking them whole as a test
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NDG
    Never thought of doing them in the WOK, but thats a good idea!  
    Columbus, OH

• NDG
    all done & tasty - i will go back . .  
    Columbus, OH

• NDG
    Got these Korean Sesame Marinated Boneless Beef Ribs again - this time stir fry in the BGE wok.  If you live near a trader joes I would suggest you try it out - very quick and tasty weeknight meal.

Columbus, OH

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275

Here's a recipe VI used, I tried it on skirt steak and it is really good.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/discussion/1147042/korean-bbq-beef-short-ribs-kalbi/p1

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822

I haven't tried cooking boneless but I can't see them cooking any different than bone in. Cook them at about 400. They're pretty thin so don't overcook them and depending on the sugar content of the marinade, they will probably brown up pretty quickly. I just bought and cooked some last night. Around here they call them flanken cut ribs.

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Wow- they look awesome.  I have tried the frozen Korean short ribs and they were pretty good.  I suppose this is similar with the small sections of bone removed.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• NDG
    Thanks.  Wanted to share because sometimes you find a good way to cheat (save time) and with something like this. 

I would like to try bone-in and marinade myself when I have time - I guess I would be looking Flanken Cut Ribs? 
    Columbus, OH