Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

I killed it on the the Egg Lastnight !! 3 glorious pizzas

This was the second time baking pizzas on the Egg and boy did they turn out amazing .

One question ... I only got the egg to 575 and would have liked to get it to 700 . Any advice on how to do this ?
Toronto
·

Comments

• KingtUTKingtUT Posts: 136
    Plenty of coal and more air flow.  Check temperature gauge?  When I want 600, I leave bottom vent wide open and lid open and I have to start closing down after 15 to 20 minutes.
    ·
  • KingtUTKingtUT Posts: 136
    pizza looks awesome by the way
    ·
  • pantsypantspantsypants Posts: 1,189
    cool thanks !!
    Toronto
    ·
  • 575* should be plenty hot for a pizza; why do you want 700*. At that temp you might find that the crust cooks to fast for the toppings.

I usually shoot for 550-600* for pizza and raise my baking stone about 3 inches above gasket level.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Pie looks great. I've heard that caputo 00 flour likes the high heat better, otherwise your temps sound like they worked well.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • This was the second time baking pizzas on the Egg and boy did they turn out amazing .

One question ... I only got the egg to 575 and would have liked to get it to 700 . Any advice on how to do this ?
    Did you preheat the stone?
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
    ·
  • dihtndihtn Posts: 177
    This was the second time baking pizzas on the Egg and boy did they turn out amazing .

Did you preheat the stone?
    And how long does the pizza take to cook?
    ·
  • texaswigtexaswig Posts: 924
    Looks good.
    Scott
    Greenville ,Tx

Xl bge with woo2 and ajustable rack
    ·
  • GoatseggGoatsegg Posts: 108
    Great looking pie. I agree with @texanofthenorth- much higher and your crust may be done before the toppings.
    -The Goat
    Marietta, GA
    XL BGE

·
  • I've found that 550 is my perfect pizza temp
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·
  • DMWDMW Posts: 7,093
    I like doing pizza at super temps. However, at these temps your pie could be finished in as little as 3 minutes. This is great when you are cooking for a crowd, though as has been mentioned the toppings won't have much time to cook. I do not recommend uses 700* if you plan on lots of sauce and toppings. If the effect you are looking for is to highlight the flavors and texture of the crust, go high temp and use sauce and toppings sparingly. I usually pre-cook toppings such as mushrooms and peppers, and for sure sausage as there is no way they will actually cook in that amount of time. Next time I do a pizza cook (planned for Friday night) I'll try to document as best I can, if it turns out well. ;)
    My Facebook Place where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - Hasty Bake Legacy - Black Stone Pizza Oven - Gasser - 30" Firepit w/SS Cooking Grid
    ·
  • I made pizza this past weekend too. Like you, I had outstanding results. If anyone has a sour dough starter, I highly recommend sourdough pizza crust, it was great. Best crust so far.

GO BLUE!

Springfield, Va

·