Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Want to cook a brisket but........

EggoMatic
EggoMatic Posts: 130
Hey guys I am itching at the bit to cook a brisket. I want to cook one but after reading some posts about over cooking it and it coming out on the dry end has me second guessing it. What can I do to make sure I screw up and expensive cut of meat?
LBGE Virginia Beach, Virginia

Comments

• EggoMatic said:
    What can I do to make sure I screw up

Lots of ways to screw one up!!  lol jk.   I have cooked a few and while some are a lot better than others even the ones I thought were a bit dry were still very good. If your confident that you can hold whatever temperature you want I would jump in!! But I would buy a whole packer as flats can be a lot harder to get right.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Whole packer for sure. And just try it, only way to learn. I was not happy with my first 3, my 4th I finally got it. Haven't done another since though...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    There are no guarantees... Read some previous post, Travis or Centex, lots of other stuff and roll with it.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Sometimes it is the quality of the cut that makes the difference and there is nothing you can do about it.  No  matter what you do, it will still taste good in the end even if it may not be as tender as you would like.  I struggle with cooking it long enough.  I am always worried about overcooking it but on my next one, I am going to cook the flat until it truly is probe tender, not just close to that.  If it is too dry, then I will know that I blew it again.  Like everything in life, the things that are worth doing take time to learn.  That is part of the fun!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• EggoMatic
    EggoMatic Posts: 130
    Thanks for the advice guys. Looks like I will try it this coming weekend. I'll post pics of the cook -- whether it's good or bad.
    LBGE Virginia Beach, Virginia
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Get a good chunk of choice or better meat.  I'm convinced that it's the meat.
    I have cooked a few Briskets and I have found the most important thing is to be at the egg when the meat temp reaches 190 and probe it every 3 to 5 degrees after 190 and pull when the flat is probed and goes in and comes out like butter, one brisket I did was done at 195 and another brisket was done at 203. As far as being dry or not, like Nola says, will be the cut of meat. Just jump in and do it. Good luck. 

Johns Creek, Georgia