Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is This A Normal Egg Glaze/Finish???

Options
Hi all,

So I just bought a brand new large egg. After I took it home I noticed some parts of the green egg glaze is missing in spots. It didn't chip, just was never glazed right in the factory.

I know it wasn't glazed right as I used to work in a pottery factory doing glazing. They were not wiped clean before glazing resulting in areas missing glaze.

I want to know does your egg also have this problem?

I reported it right away to the store and they contacted green egg. They will replace the egg upper and lower halves, but want me to pay $100 for shipping, which I think is totally unfair as its a manufacturing defect and I bought it brand new.

I am worried long term that it will let in moisture during New England winters and chip in this area.

Thoughts???
Tiocfaidh!
Support 26+6=1 United Ireland

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Dude that looks normal to me but I do think, if there's an issue that u shouldn't get stuck w shipping charges
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Don't know if it is really a problem, but I might contact the dealer and the Mothership.  They just replaced the base on my XL for a hairline crack.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I would raise holy hell over that. They obviously admit it's a problem or they wouldn't have agreed to cover it. Your dealer should be able to replace with his normal stock and BGE should cover the freight. I would dump it on your dealer's doorstep, and make a nuisance of myself. BGE will cover it.

I didn't have to pay freight when my base was replaced after 8 YEARS outside and hundreds of cooks later.

total **** if you ask me.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • wolfetone
    Options
    Thanks for the comments so far! The dealer has contacted them and the reply from BGE is we will replace it but he has to pay shipping as the warranty does not cover the glaze!

But my issue is that this is not a problem that developed after the sale it came out of the factory like this so it should be there problem.

It might be difficult to see but if you can't see the areas missing glaze I can try retake some photos.
    Tiocfaidh!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    I'm with you that should have been caught in quality control and never left the plant in Mexico! I too would insist on the replacement BUT at their shipping expense NOT yours! BS like this QC and BS like trying to make you pay for it is what customer service slippage BGE corporate has been showing the last couple years...
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • wolfetone
    Options
    Anyone know a contact in BGE that I should bring this to their attention? The replies so far from BGE has not been so good.
    Tiocfaidh!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    They seem to be confused - if the glaze is not covered by warranty then why the hell are they replacing your dome and base at all? I call BS too.

How long ago did you buy your egg? The place where I bought mine had a return period (even if the egg had been used). Just return it all if you can, and pick one with better glazing.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • wolfetone
    Options
    I bought it on a Saturday, and reported it on the Monday, so its not like the store didnt know about it. They said they would contact BGE, initially they said they were replacing it, now its become they are replacing it but not covering the shipping.

I am honestly annoyed by the fact that it is not brought to my place from BGE and drop off the new parts and return the old. The store is an hour away and lifting the egg in parts in and out of the car is a pain in the ass

Tiocfaidh!
  • Holepuncher
    Options
    Have you been able to send the pictures to the mothership?
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • BobsBGE
    BobsBGE Posts: 99
    Options
    It's obvious the glazing is not right.  I agree that BGE should be replacing and paying for shipping.  With such obvious quality issues, I can't believe they're balking.
    Fayetteville, Ga
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    caliking said:
    They seem to be confused - if the glaze is not covered by warranty then why the hell are they replacing your dome and base at all? I call BS too.

How long ago did you buy your egg? The place where I bought mine had a return period (even if the egg had been used). Just return it all if you can, and pick one with better glazing.

Couldn't agree more. They would be making it right for no charge or refunding my money so I could go elsewhere to spend my money.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • wolfetone
    Options
    I didnt send BGE the photos yet as until now the store has been emailing and calling them, but rather than give them a lot of hassle over it I asked if the store can just give me the email address of the contact he has been emailing in the BGE company.

I havent heard back from the store yet about what the email address is that they were emailing, once I do I will email them the photos.

They do have the photos though as I emailed the store the photos.

Tiocfaidh!
  • wolfetone
    Options
    Ok so here is the response from BGE.

They say they highlighted the reasons in the warranty that they would not cover the costs, HOWEVER, i see this is a MANUFACTURING DEFECT OR QUALITY CONTROL DEFECT it is not and should not count as a warranty defect.

They want to charge me $99.50 for shipping the replaced parts.

Here is their response----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The BGE warranty policy covers the parts only not the shipping costs.  Also the warranty does not cover blemishes so technically the items would not be covered under the BGE warranty policy but I was able to get them to cover this.

Please refer to the attached highlighted areas in the warranty policy.
    Tiocfaidh!
  • Bayarad
    Bayarad Posts: 313
    Options
    I have to agree whether the spots where glaze is missing is a performance issue or a cosmetic issue is irrelevant! You paid a fair price for no issues and the mothership should eat the cost of giving you what you paid a lot of money for!
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    My hunch is your dealer and distributor are making you pay the freight. Most warranty issues are handled thru/by the distributor and dealer. Both typically pay the freight inbound for normal stock. Far amount of time warranty items can be added to existing orders and ship low cost. Bases and domes can be the exception as they are bigger and less actual claims on them when compared to fire boxes and fire rings. Take it back and get you money back. T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Is that the response that the store sent you or is that straight from BGE? They are correct normally they don't cover shipping but if you wait for the next delivery to the store you bought it from its usually free shipping from what I have always seen. Good dealers will give you the base from their stock and wait for the replacement. I would email Bruce.bohannon@biggreenegg.com he has always helped when I had issues.
  • grillingunner
    Options
    I had noticed the same issue with mine last year and I notified BGE and they said that it was completely normal.  They just sent me a bottle of touch up paint.  I did not even bother to use it and my egg has been fine.  I do see your concern though since you spend the kind of money that you do on an egg.
    LBGE And MINI Egg
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    I am embarrassed by my comment.  I did not read your post well.  You should be pissed off.  That is a defective product.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I agree with CenTex.  Insofar as moisture goes, the inside isn't glazed.   But you're paying for a premium grill, and shame on BGE for this quality control problem.
    Options
    I agree with the others. Return it! Walk out of the store, and walk back in and say "hello I'd like to buy a bge." If bge wants you to pay shipping it's either this or cough up 100 bones. Sounds like your dealer isn't that great because they should obviously know that this is BS and help ya out.
    NW IOWA
  • RRP
    edited October 2013
    Options
    RRP said:
    I'm with you that should have been caught in quality control and never left the plant in Mexico! I too would insist on the replacement BUT at their shipping expense NOT yours! BS like this QC and BS like trying to make you pay for it is what customer service slippage BGE mcorporate has been showing the last couple years...
    You know...the more I think about this BS the more it pisses me off! I personally have always lived my life believing what is right is right and any attempts at screwing people out of their hard earned money is just wrong. Ed Fisher did not make BGE what it is today by cheap tricks like this, nor switching to plastic handles either! Gotta wonder what else is in the pipeline at the skunk works!
  • wolfetone
    Options
    Thanks guys for all the support. I emailed BGE tonight, thanks also for that particular person at BGE to contact, I will send him an email also. I will keep you all updated.

Keep the posts coming!!!!!
    Tiocfaidh!
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    With all the amazing support stories I've read over the years, I'd be shocked if the mothership did anything but make you very very happy very very soon. Shocked.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• yumdinger
    yumdinger Posts: 255
    Options
    My dealer posted a sign indicating a $25 processing fee for all warranty claims.  Is this normal?  A few weeks ago I returned my crack fire grate.  I placed my broken one on the counter, they directed me to the new ones.  I bought some random dizzy pig stuff and handed over my credit card assuming they would charge me for the rubs.  My egg is under 2 years old.  As I walked to the car I noticed they charged me full retail for the grate.... I returned and asked about the warranty.  They refunded my money but definitely tried not honoring the warranty.
  • RRP
    Options
    With all the amazing support stories I've read over the years, I'd be shocked if the mothership did anything but make you very very happy very very soon. Shocked.
    Let us hope! Though the proof will come out in the future postings. I too will give them the benefit of the doubt!
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    yumdinger said:
    My dealer posted a sign indicating a $25 processing fee for all warranty claims.  Is this normal?  A few weeks ago I returned my crack fire grate.  I placed my broken one on the counter, they directed me to the new ones.  I bought some random dizzy pig stuff and handed over my credit card assuming they would charge me for the rubs.  My egg is under 2 years old.  As I walked to the car I noticed they charged me full retail for the grate.... I returned and asked about the warranty.  They refunded my money but definitely tried not honoring the warranty.
    I just got a whole XL base and no cost other than my gas to pick it upl

• Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    yumdinger said:

25 dollar processing fee!!?? That's ridiculous! Some dealers are a joke though. Mine wouldn't of even had a fire grate. They have eggs, plate setters, and charcoal. I went there for a new gasket after mine fried after 6 months and they said it wasn't covered. After that argument I said I needed an acorn nut and a couple of the bolts to go with them, and they said so go to a hardware store. I walked out and emailed BGE and had my parts in three days.

NW IOWA
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited October 2013
    Options
    I just had my base replaced for a crack, picked it up Monday with no charge.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    Could you wait until it cracks? then it will be a warranty issue. I agree that this is total BS that they won't cover the shipping. Id just keep it and if the problem gets worse contact them again.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Just one more thought- there is nothing in the warranty that states you have to work with the dealer you purchased your egg from.  You can handle a warranty claim through any authorized dealer.  You might check around for other dealers and see if one is willing to help you to earn your future business. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.