Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

digiq dx2 question

Options
Hello all!! Tonight will be my first cook with the digiq and I have a couple questions for you guys,first would be where is the best place to clip the pit temp probe? Second is how should I lite the egg,should I get it to temp and then hook the digiq up or lite it let it burn till the starter cube burns up and let the digiq get the egg to temp? Any replies would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!! I love this forum nothing but good people here

Comments

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    What are you cooking, direct or indirect, what temperature?

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options

I will just say this. There are many ways to cook with the DigiQ. I myself clip it to the grate. Some take the clip off and put it in the dome temp hole (outside).  If doing a low and slow both ways will come out fine. I let the fire get going maybe like 5 to 10 mins then hook up DigiQ. There are many ways for this too and I have not heard of any that were not successful. You can light your fire and hook DigiQ up right away. It will keep the fire going and get egg up to temp. Main thing is to not let the fire get to hot. If you over shoot egg takes a while to get temp down. 

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Orthobear
    Options
    I'm still figuring it out myself but I've had the best luck lighting the lump with the fire starter in the center on the top of the lump (don't bury it). I let this get going with dome open and vents wide open for about 5-10 min. This usually provides a decent flame and I move some lump on top of the flame and put on my plate setter, grate, close the dome, and hook up the digiQ. I try to be careful not to wait too long to hook up the digiQ because the first time I was lighting my egg I let the temp get too hot and like six egg said, it took a long time to get the temp back down. I clip the pit temp probe directly to the grate close to where my meat will be but off to the side some so my meat has room. Hope this helps. Good luck!
    Houston, TX
  • jbq
    jbq Posts: 25
    Options
    Thanks alot guys I will be doin a 8lb butt indirect with drip pan with apple juice didnt know if that would effect the air flow and throw the digiq off or not? Just got the digiq this will be the first test so hopefully it works as good as everybody said it does
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    EggHeadinFlorida Posts: 892
    edited October 2013
    Options
    If you have cooked a butt before you will be fine with the digiq. I like to start my fire for a low n slow with either a big wad of paper towel soaked in rubbing alcohol then set under some lump or use a electric starter. Either will work. Whatever you do if you have a little fire going don't squirt rubbing alcohol onto it [-X
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • Charlesmaneri
    Options
    I clip it to the bracket that holds the factory thermometer as far as lighting the fire light it the same way as you have in the past let the fire get going then put the fan in the bottom vent  and your off to the races 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.