Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Central Texas BBQ - Brisket and Ribs

Options
Hello all,
Just got my LBGE a little over a month ago and so far love it. I've done a couple of smokes so far, ribs and brisket, as well as general grilling.

My first smoke was baby back ribs and sausage. The rub was pork rub and some montreal steak seasoning. I used a combination of lump and pecan chunks. Smoked for 2 hours at 250*, wrapped for 1 hour in foil and threw back into the egg, then unwrapped and finished in the egg. I didn't sauce these ribs since I am still trying to find the right glaze to use.

For the brisket, I bought a USDA prime full packer from Costco for $2.75/lb. It was a shade under 10 lbs. I trimmed some of the excessive fat, took some whole peppercorn pepper and ground it coarse. Did a 1:1 mix with kosher sea salt (1/4 cup each) and covered the entire brisket. That is it, no other ingredients since brisket requires nothing else.

For the brisket I did lump and post Oak chunks. Used the platesetter, and put a tray with water on the platesetter. Temp was 260* and I put the brisket fat side up on at 9:15 am. 4 hours in, I wrapped in foil for 2 hours.

After 2 hours, I unwrapped and finished in the egg. The egg held temp steady throughout the day with hardly any spikes. I pulled the brisket around 6:15 pm at 195* internal temp in the fattest part of the brisket. The probe went into the meat like butter. I tented it in foil and let it rest for 30 mins.

Here is the money shot, best brisket I've ever made.

Only thing I would change is to trim more of the fat off.

Austin, Texas

Comments