Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

So, how many racks of baby backs can be made at one time on an XL?

westernbbqwesternbbq Posts: 342

In a few weeks I will be putting this to the test and if I can figure out how to, with my technical challenges, post some picts here.

In the Egg catalogues, it says 14 racks of  baby backs (horizontally racked) can be made in the XL.  I am going to go for 18 or so

Anyone else out there try this?  anyone have some ideas which would help?  I have the XLgrid extender and a vertical rack, and can get another if it would fit.

Thanks for help and suggestions!

·

Comments

• I don't know, but I Can't wait to see this :)

John - SLC, UT

Webers, Eggs, Bubba Keg, Smokin-It #3

·
  • How do you get 14 on?
    XLBGE, Weber, and Barbeques Galore Gasser
    ·
  • Ragtop99Ragtop99 Posts: 1,308
    I haven't attempted to that many, but with two levels and rib racks and you have a fighting chance.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
    ·
  • We decided to go with shoulders instead- six of 'em and they were an absolute hit!
    ·
  • dweebs0rdweebs0r Posts: 502
    -Jody Newell (LBGE & a mini BGE!)
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,713
    Try putting your rib racks on their side.

For clarity, imagine the ribs in bunk beds.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • Ragtop99Ragtop99 Posts: 1,308
    edited October 2013
    For clarity, imagine the ribs in bunk beds.
    I'd rather imagine twins.

=))
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,424
    Where's that pic of an egg absolutely packed with ribs? Can someone post it?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • td66snrftd66snrf Posts: 754
    This is seven racks with a swing grate on an XL. image
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 5,591
    edited October 2013
    Here you go @caliking!

Here is an old post where they discuss the cook:

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg wing. 
    2014 Wing King's Apprentice
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,424
    Thanks! That 20-racks-of-ribs-in-the-egg shot was the one I was after.

Anyways, that should answer the question.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 5,591
    caliking said:
    Thanks! That 20-racks-of-ribs-in-the-egg shot was the one I was after.

Anyways, that should answer the question.
    Actually does that mean you can get 40 on an XL??? :D

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg wing. 
    2014 Wing King's Apprentice
    ·
  • Easy solution is to get another egg.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

·
  • westernbbqwesternbbq Posts: 342

I forgot to follow up here- sorry!   got a multi grid (3) levels for XL from the ceramic grill store and did 15 racks.  too many beers that nite so I didn't take a picture

the biggest lesson I learned is to put foil around the edges were heat can rise (and burn the racks of ribs) but this system worked really well.  there was room for at least another 15 if I stood them on end but they were arranged in such a way as to be able to absorb smoke and be properly basted during the cook.  250 degrees for about 4-4.5 hrs.  PERFECTION.

·
  • bbqlearnerbbqlearner Posts: 674

I forgot to follow up here- sorry!   got a multi grid (3) levels for XL from the ceramic grill store and did 15 racks.  too many beers that nite so I didn't take a picture

the biggest lesson I learned is to put foil around the edges were heat can rise (and burn the racks of ribs) but this system worked really well.  there was room for at least another 15 if I stood them on end but they were arranged in such a way as to be able to absorb smoke and be properly basted during the cook.  250 degrees for about 4-4.5 hrs.  PERFECTION.

+1 - tried to cook 8-9-10 racks (it's all blurry now - cant remember) on Large and learned the hard way about burning the ribs when they are placed close to the edge.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

·
  • GATABITESGATABITES Posts: 963
    The most i cooked on my XL was 7 racks on the AR. I did have problems with the edges cooking too fast. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Reisterstown, MD
    ·
  • I've done 6 baby backs plus a spare rib rack lying flat straight on the grate, I guess you could fit some 8 - 9 baby backs sans the spare this way, or around 20 using racks or a second raised grate.

XL BGE + Large BGE @ Monterrey, Mexico
    ·