Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Parchment Paper Mahi Mahi

Options
TUTTLE871
TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
edited October 2013 in Off Topic
I have been on a Mahi Mahi kick lately and since Trader Joes opened I can get it at fairly good price. Seeing all these folks on here cooking fish with parchment paper I decided I needed to give it a try. Seasoned up the fish with DP Tsunumi Spin and then laid a Rosemary sprig and a few slices of lemon. Wrapped up in parchment and prepped everything else.

I found this bag of Green Bag Royal Oak up in WYO over the summer at Menards so I bought a few bags and brought them back to Texas (that's another story). This stuff was already at 350 in about 5 min. No smoke or anything I was very impressed and wish I had about 10 bags of it but the car I came back in to Texas was not made for space. 

Back to the fish, I had two other filets that I vacuum sealed with some tereyaki sauce for about 3 hours and threw them on with the parchment paper fishe at about 300 indirect. Had a few pecan twigs I threw in also. Went for about 20 min and pulled. The parchment fish was very moist and the wife loved it. I was more partial to the tereyaki version. 

Did a spinach and bean sprouts sautéed in garlic and EVOO. The other stuff was something the wife wanted from Trader Joes it was awesome, some kinda peas and spinach and gnocchi. Had to get something sorta of healthy in me since we are heading to the State Fair tomorrow and I can't imagine the crap I'm going to eat.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

Comments

• TUTTLE871
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Don't understand when I type this whole thing out I do it with paragraphs and then post it's one big ole pile of mess. Ok fixed it

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I see paragraphs. 

Looks amazing. I wish I had a TJ's near me. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks great.  Mahi mahi tastes so good they had to name it twice.  They call that technique en papillote.
    Options
    Very nice. I would be all over that plate.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Looks great Tuttle. Try using a little masking tape to get those flaps down next time (that's a tip I got from Little Steven)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options

Lookin' good, Tuttle. I'm craving some seafood right now.

You gonna try those deep fried Thanksgiving balls at the Fair?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Buckdodger
    Options
    ???? First time seeing the parchment paper method to do fish. Can it be used for salmon, catfish etc. BTW the plate looks great.

Opelika, Alabama
  • TUTTLE871
    Options
    Griffin said:

Lookin' good, Tuttle. I'm craving some seafood right now.

You gonna try those deep fried Thanksgiving balls at the Fair?

Hell ya I am. I'm just eating a small breakfast and then leaving around 1 today. I will always have to go back and get the old reliables though, Fletcher's Corn Dog and Fried PB&J.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• TUTTLE871
    Options
    Looks great Tuttle. Try using a little masking tape to get those flaps down next time (that's a tip I got from Little Steven)

I thought that after I was half way through the cook. I used a stapler.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    ???? First time seeing the parchment paper method to do fish. Can it be used for salmon, catfish etc. BTW the plate looks great.
    En papillote is a great way to do pretty much any fish. Even better for shellfish.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    TUTTLE871 said:

I thought that after I was half way through the cook. I used a stapler.

=))
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.