Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What am I doing wrong? Foodsaver

Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,669
Busted down 4 lb Costco bacon to 4oz packs. Half the bags would not pull a vac. Got to doing then 10 extra inches so I could cut and try again. Worked sometimes. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I don't know about the food saver but I'll take the bacon off your hands.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • CP92
    CP92 Posts: 318
    Sometimes it's the bags themselves.  For what ever reason they won't seal. Are you using pre-cut or sealing your own off a role?  How long have you had your sealer?  I know with mine (lesser model than yours) often it will "overheat" and not want to seal after running several batches through (8-10).  Let it sit for 5-10 mins and try again.  To be honest I don't think they are the greatest vac sealers out there, but for the money and amount I use it, they are at the price point I need.
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • I've never been able to seal the 8" bags...only the 11" bags. I only buy those now.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • same issue here sometimes with the stand up model. Unplug and plug back in and see if that helps.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • +1 on CP92.  I've had a roll of bags that would not seal.  I called Foodsaver and they shipped me new rolls.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• krobertsmsn
    krobertsmsn Posts: 655
    edited October 2013
    Try to freeze or partially freeze the meat first on a pan with parchment paper under the meat. Leave at least 4 inches of bag between the bacon and edge of plastic. My problems have usually arisen from moisture creeping to the end where it should seal. This prevents a seal. Also make sure enough of the edge is sitting in the "well" when you are sealing. Attention to these 2 things have helped me with this issue
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I had that standup model.  It sucked, or rather, it didn't suck properly.  The vacuum is used to apply pressure to the heater.  We ditched that model and got the simple gamesaver style with the lever. 
    edited October 2013

It makes no sense that it would be the bag's fault.  A bag is a bag is a bag.  If the machine doesn't "melt" the plastic to seal the bag off, then there's a problem with the machine's sealing mechanism.  Am I missing something here??
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

It makes no sense that it would be the bag's fault.  A bag is a bag is a bag.  If the machine doesn't "melt" the plastic to seal the bag off, then there's a problem with the machine's sealing mechanism.  Am I missing something here??
    Yep, that's the problem.  I've had that model and others.
    I'll bet it's V I's fault !!!!! L-)

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Make sure you turn the end of the bag inside out (like the cuff of a long sleeved dress shirt) before you put the meat in.  This will keep grease off the sealing surfaces.  Won't seal well if greasy.  Watch out for wrinkles too.
  • CP92
    CP92 Posts: 318
    If it's as he explained and the same problem I've experienced has nothing to do with sealing.  The machine never vacuums out the air.  While it might seem counter-intuitive, process of elimination proves it's a bag. I can try with a bag that won't vac, replace it with on that will, and then try the one that wouldn't and still get the same results.  Just throw them away and move on.
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    I have that same machine and I've never had a problem with it. Works well for me.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I have the same one also and no problems in 2 years.
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    No problem either. Works great. If your model has the moisture setting switch, use it and be sure to clean out the moisture tray.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I don't know that model Mic but when I have problems with the gamesaver I take a toothpick to the suction inlet in the chamber. Also if the gasket is mis-seated you will get problems.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Mine is the 3840, same as the re-designed 3880 Mickey has. My Gamesaver pretty much sits on the shelf now, unless doing large amounts. There is a slight learning curve with the Foodsaver. Best results for me is with frozen product. For bacon, I freeze in 1/2 pound packs by folding  the bacon over (so they fit in the 8" roll bags) and spread them on a cookie sheet, freeze them. This keeps the grease and oil off the edge of the bag, no effect on sealing. I use the small rolls for bacon. Make sure the edge is clean and the cut is straight. 
    With pre-frozen packs, you can line up two or three packs in the same bag, leave a small space between them and re-use the bag when you take one out. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    I had one of the originals and then one similar to what's pictured.  Loath the new one .. slow and I've been through this as well.  I actually stopped using it. Since you have to use so much I just started pressing and rolling over freezer bags. It seemed to me that the shorter bags did not line up right with any quantity of food in them and therefore would never appear to have sucked all the air out and in turn never seal.  It can work but you can't put much in them.
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    I have a very similar one and have had trouble getting some bags to seal also. A trick I have found that works is before you start using it wet the foam gasket that seals around the bag. Every time I do this I don't have anymore problems. Hope this helps.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Get vi to come over... He sucks.

=))
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN