Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Govt Shutdown - One Positive

Options
CP92
CP92 Posts: 321
Just got the word I can go back to work!  Yeah, for me!  Maybe that trip to New Orleans over Thanksgiving will be a reality after all.  Anyway, I got up early this morning at 5:00 unsure whether to put my butt on or not.  Had a couple of emails from my company discussing rumors of defense contractors going back to work.  Finally decided to put the butt on at 6:30.  Figured worse case I was out 10 bucks.  Have done pretty good on holding temp between 220 - 270.  I did feel the need to play with the DW but in hind sight should have let it ride and see what happened.  None the less, I've refrained from opening it up heading though the seven hour mark now.  Here's a photo as I put it on.  Suggestions on when to start checking temp?

Chris
LBGE
Hughesville, MD

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Are planning on foiling? You don't have to - I prefer the bark of an unfoiled butt. If it has a bone, then its done when the bone slides right out. Or when it probes like butter - thats about 200-205°F IT.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Good for you. Good Guy Chuck Hagel is getting 400,000 people back to work! I've had to cancel my Eggtoberfest trip due to the shutdown. I'll just come over to your house for BBQ instead.  ;)
  • CP92
    Options
    I'm not going to foil.  I've done butts before on an offset and never foiled them.  I can't say for sure, but like you I like the bark w/o foiling.  Maybe next time.  Thanks for the info on temp.  I'll check it in prolly another hour or so and it'll be at around nine hours then. 
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • CP92
    edited October 2013
    Options
    @Eggcelsior yeah, I was hopeful when I read the article this weekend.  Then I heard John Boehner say that was the intent all along when they passed the bill to fund the military.  Not sure whether that was communicated to SecDef or the Executive Branch or not, but by my reading of the whole thing SecDef put his lawyers on the trail and made the decision to interrupt it to the benefit of the DoD. Regardless, you're welcome up here anytime; just say the word.  I'll probably go to DizzyFest now that we're outta the woods so perhaps we can set something up for that day if you're going.
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Wait, you're a contractor and were furloughed?  That's the first I've heard of that (normally that $$ is already appropriated).  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• chainsaw19
    Options
    I've had a lot of egging time lately, unfortunately no call back for us at this point...silver lining is gEtting more time to try some cooks I haven't had time to do lately, but at this point I just want to go back to work.
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • buddubya
    Options
    I've finally got time to restore my MBGE back in to top shape including repairing a fully cracked bottom w/ JB weld, sanding, new paint job, installing new Rutland and hopefully starting an old oak dresser to double BGE table conversion project. Will post progress pics as soon as some is made. Weld is setting up over night.

Brookhaven, GA

2012 Large | Mid 90's Medium

• CP92
    Options
    @Botch we can't work w/o our Govt people being around.  That being said when they took the hit so did we.

@chainsaw19 I feel for ya brother.  Appears we're in the same state.  Hoping you get word soon.  No amount of cooking can ease that stress.  I'll keep my fingers crossed the you know what's in Congress get their act together real soon for ya.

@buddubya I'd cry if that happened to me.  I am not mechanically inclined in the least.  I still have to say right tighty whenever I pick up a tool.
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • buddubya
    Options
    @CP92 - She has been through a lot and traveled many miles so it was only a matter of time. Started to crack in 07 and have just cooked on it ever since. But it got to the point where it would never shut down and would burn through all my lump and temperature regulation was getting to be an issue. I think she will make a full recovery. Hopefully the JB Weld works out as well as everyone claims. Really on the hunt now for a newer Large counterpart to fit in the to-be double table.

How is that shoulder looking about now? Was on about 10 hours?

Brookhaven, GA

2012 Large | Mid 90's Medium

• CP92
    Options
    More like 11 now. Seems to be stuck at about 180. Ain't nothing but a thing.  Never used a thermometer before so we'll just ride it out.  SWMBO has come to accept that I still have a learning curve here especially with regard to timing.  She'll be right.
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • CP92
    Options
    Well, up to the last two days everything that came off the egg mighta been OK.  But these last two days is honestly is what mainly drew me to the BGE in the first place.  My Mrs. actually loved the pulled pork so much she wouldn't even put any sauce on it.  Some quick cole slaw and I've been on a lima bean kick lately so a good bowl of them and we were a happy couple of BGE owners.  Even Beau got in on the action with the bone.  Loved it so much he forgot about chasing Huckleberry the cat for a few minutes.  Thanks again for all the info, support and encouragement along the way.

imageimageimage
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD