Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Good information on spareribs

Options

Comments

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Great information. Thanks! 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Thanks for the link. I wondered what value added might mean. I see that it means ribs pre-trimmed in various ways. Must admit, of what they offer, I've only ever heard of St. Louis style. Colorado, NYC style, etc, nope. I wonder why some cuts are from somewhat heavier than average slabs, and other lighter.

There are so many cuts, known by so many names. I'm often bewildered.  A few days ago, I came across a reference to a "pork brisket" cut. Described as a small portion of the picnic and the spare section left together. Wish there was a tutorial showing a carcass. Cut like so, its called a picnic. Cut this, its called spare ribs. Cut in between the 2, its called a brisket, and is really good to cook this way...

• TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    I know that nice even cook is in the STL but I think I prefer a Carolina or a Colorado.
  • thailandjohn
    Options
    The type ribs I prefer over all others, are called commodity ribs in our local business Costco This type of rib has nothing cut off and weighs about 5 1/2 pounds per rack The commodity ribs are always the lowest price
  • jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Options
    Good information... Thanks for sharing!
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July