Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

22lb Beef Clod and 17lbs of Port Butt

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
edited October 2013 in EggHead Forum
Stopped by Meadow Creek BBQ this morning and left with a 22lb Beef Clod and 2 Pork Butts. The beef clod is the larger package, the other is the 2 pork butts packed together. Planning to slice the beef clock into 3 and vacuum seal/freeze 2 of them and 1 of the butts. The remaining butt and beef clod section will go on late Friday night or really early Sat morning for a party I'm having Saturday night. First time doing beef clod and looking forward to it.
They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Don't forget to post pics of that Saturday cook!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • DMW
    Options
    Will definitely be posting pics of this cook. I'm starting to reconsider dividing the beef clod into 3 pieces. I'm thinking I may just take off a smaller portion for this cook and freeze the rest. I'm probably aiming for aprox 7lb section for this cook along with one of the butts.

Has anyone out there cut up a beef clod of this size, and if so, any recommendations? The reason for second guessing my divide into 3 is I'd like to give a really big piece a shot some time and I figure a 14lb or so would a good next step.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    I've never done a clod. But over the years I have cooked whole top rounds, approx. 18-22 lbs in my bullet smoker. They are great for pit beef sandwiches.
    I made a rub of garlic, rosemary, olive oil,salt and pepper and mixed it together in a mortar and pestle and rubbed it all over the meat the night before.
    Cook over lump at 300 for 8 hrs.
    It was like eating prime rib.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • williamadamsesq
    Options
    I had a 20 lb boneless clod I cut into 2 10 lb chunks this weekend. one half took 13 hrs at 250 and another 2 hrs in foil at 325 to get done, with 2.5 hrs FTC.  I didn't inject, just used mustard and my all purpose rub.   Giant second stall at 179 degrees.

My Wife doesn't do very much pork, so we ate it all as pulled beef.  It had some roast beef overtones, but was wonderful.

I used cherry chips exclusively, I'd probably thrown in a few hickory as well.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Just a ball park figure guys how much do you pay per pound for beef clod?  No one around here carries it and I don't want to pay way too much just to have someone order one.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • DMW
    Options
    Mine was $2.97/lb today.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• MrCookingNurse
    Options
    A real man would smoke the 22 lbs'er whole 

<:-P

just saying 

XLBGE 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    What time is the party? My invitation seems to have gotten lost in the e-mail.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• DMW
    Options
    I'm really wanting to do the whole thing at once...but there are only going to be 15 total and I was going to do some pork as well. Maybe I could do it all and freeze it after... Any thoughts on how long the whole thing would take?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    edited October 2013
    Options
    man I'm just yanking your chain!!

I would do some form of a split just because that little tongue section will cook a lot quicker than the rest.  Good luck!!!!

Are you going to slice it or pull it?

it could be anywhere from a while to over a day!

XLBGE 
  • DMW
    Options
    I know you were, but part of me wants to put the whole darn thing on and see what happens. :) oh well, just picked up a roll of expandable Food Saver bags, so I guess tonight is butcher night.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• DMW
    edited October 2013
    Options
    And I'm planning to pull it. I think for this one I'll do the "tongue" section.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• DMW
    Options
    OK, cut into 3 pieces, each 7 lbs and change. 2 in food save bags in the freezer, one in a zip lock in the fridge.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    Just a ball park figure guys how much do you pay per pound for beef clod?  No one around here carries it and I don't want to pay way too much just to have someone order one.
    Last one I did was $2.95 a pound.  Ask the meat guy, they have them in the back or can get them no problem at every grocery store I've ever been to.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    Meadow Creek sells meat? I just heard about them a couple weeks ago for the first time. Do you have to preorder? Do you know if they have tri-tip? 
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • DMW
    Options
    @ads75 Yep, they have a small freezer and upright fridge. Not always the largest selection, but good prices. If there is something specific you want you can order ahead. If you haven't been there it is worth th trip, I got my egg there. Super friendly and knowledgeable on all types of smoking/grilling/outdoor cooking. They also host an eggfest in June usually.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    What cut is a clod?
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • DMW
    Options
    The shoulder, beef version of a pork butt
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    Thanks! I'll have to check it out.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA