Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - New Orleans report (long)

This has a little relevance for us eggers, so its not entirely OT. Folks were kind enough to give me a bunch of suggestions last week [ http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1402968#Comment_1402968 ], so I thought I should report back.

Lodging - stayed at Ashton's B&B (2023 Esplanade) and absolutely loved it! Some concerns had been raised about the area the B&B is in, but that area is absolutely fine - unless you are used to living in a WASPy gated community and don't feel safe in any other setting. We drove, and were able to park behind a locked gate, but many cars were parked in the street. About a mile from the French Quarter, and possibly walkable during the day. At night maybe not so, because of the area immediately around I-10 and Esplanade. Otherwise the street is well-lit with enough people around to be safe.

The B&B itself was great. And here's what makes it relevant to this forum - the owner has a medium BGE which guests can use! So if you absolutely must egg while you're away, this is your spot. One of the guests had caught some redfish the day we arrived and so grilled them up for dinner. The owner provides a gourmet breakfast. We had Eggs Sardou, Bananas Foster waffles, and cochon de lait Eggs Benedict with chipotle hollandaise the mornings we were there. A great way to start the day!

Eats: Herbsaint was a very pleasant meal. The gnocchi with pancetta and parmesan was terrific, as was the duck confit with dirty rice. Gumbo was decent. The dessert was a chocolate cake with sea salt caramel sauce and cashew ice cream which was also very good. Its a Susan Spicer resto (owns Cochon as well). I would gladly go back.

The charbroiled oysters for lunch  at Drago's did not disappoint, however they were cheesier and more buttery than I remembered. We split an order of shrimp and grits and loved it. The sauce for the shrimp was excellent with a great mouthfeel, without feeling too rich. The shrimp were cooked perfectly.  The grits were not the best IMO, but would probably have been better received if we were not in New Orleans - too many great versions to compare it to.

Brunch at The Court of Two Sisters was ok, but did not knock my socks off food-wise. It was a great way to spend a couple of hours in the afternoon - they have a nice patio, and I love live music. The food was a decent sampling of New Orleans fare, and we had a good time overall. 

Sat dinner was at Jacques-Imos. Last minute change from our original selection (Dante's Kitchen) because the menu looked more interesting. Yes, I knew there would be a long wait, but a few folks on the forum had also recommended it, so we went. Waited about an hour and a half  to be seated, 2hrs+ until we got our entrees. The alligator shrimp cheesecake appetizer was tasty, SWMBO's bbq shrimp dish  was very good even if the shrimp were overdone, but my blackened redfish was overdone and lukewarm by the time I got it. The place is supposed to have this "fun" quirky feel to it, but by the time we were seated (in a tight corner of the bar, without any other dining customers nearby), the waitstaff was not feeling quite so "fun". Service was good and courteous, but it was late for both them and us. Seems to be a well-liked place by locals and tourists who find out about it, but I wouldn't go back unless it was a weeknight and I got there right when they opened, or if I had 5+ people in the group so we could make a reservation.  The food was good, but not good enough for the time and energy we invested.

Brunch at Commander's Palace Sun morning was a treat. I was determined to go back after I had eaten there a few years ago. The turtle soup finished with sherry was the best I had this trip. I had pecan crusted drum for my entree which was done perfectly - warm, moist, flaky - everything the redfish at Jacques-Imos should have been. SWMBO had the shrimp and grits which she also enjoyed.

I saved the best for last, even though we went there for Fri dinner. Based on the rave reviews from @nolaeegghead , we ate at R'evolution. Easily the best meal I had in a restaurant this year! We thought about the tasting menu, but the selections were lame, so we decided to make up our own. They let you split certain dishes, and the pasta items come in half portions so you can try more things without filling up too quickly. The Death by Gumbo" quail gumbo appetizer was my favorite gumbo of this trip. Can't pass up bone marrow when I see it, so that was next. The grilled oyster thing was the least favorite item we ordered. A half portion of the sheep's milk ricotta gnocchi with lobster was also one of the best things I ate during this trip - the gnocchi were amazingly good and the sauce was unique. I think it had a hint of lavender in it, and a slight tangy flavor that was just right. SWMBO had the scallops with foie gras  for her entree, and I had the crawfish-stuffed redfish Napolean - both excellent and well-executed. Finished with the bread pudding creme brulee for  dessert, which was a great variation on the NOLA staple. I think I gained 5lbs that night, but goshdarnit it was worth it!

Ok time to wrap this up. Its long-winded, and took a while for me to type, but I had to tell somebody. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    Great report, have you ever thought of freelancing as a food critic? :)
    canuckland
  • Love those charbroiled oysters.
    LBGE- Atlanta, LBGE and SBGE- Ellijay, GA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Sounds like a whirlwind tour of NOLA cuisine.  Awesome man.  Half expected you to drop by my hood but you were likely digesting food furiously in between meals.  ;)

I have not eaten, believe it or not, at the court of two sisters or Jaques-Imos - hate waiting to be seated. 

Glad you got to R'evolution.  Next time in town you'll need to try nolaegghead's.  :D Or a John Besh place.

My recommendation was Jacques-Imos. Sorry not the hit it was for us. Thanks for the post.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @canugghead: :) I have actually,  but I  would probably die young if i were to make that my living! Guy Fieri has my dream job. 

@tybeelucy2: if i were to try making those on the egg,  I think they would be even better with some white wine and more garlic in the mix. 

@nolaegghead: entirely  my loss that I couldn't  make it to your neck of the woods this trip.  Between all the dining,  the recovering from dining,  and taking in New Orleans' beautiful homes and architecture,  the time just flew! Ended up being a hectic couple of days. The ManBearCave shall remain legend for the time being :)

@Mickey: No worries. In their defence, they were pretty accurate about the wait time to being seated. I'm just grateful to have a resource like this forum where I can ask OT questions and still get great tips!

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    caliking  You are so right about being able to ask and get answers to ANY QUESTIONS right here on the forum. I have never seen a question go unanswered.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• CP92
    CP92 Posts: 318
    Great read. The SWMBO and I are/were/might still be going for Thanksgiving.  That was the plan prior to the shutdown but looks like relief might be insight for contractors affiliated with the DOD.  Will bookmark your thread for future reference just in case.
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    You have helped a lot of folks planning on trip to the "big easy". Sounds like it was a wonderful trip. Thanks for the post. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    where is them pics ??? with beads and quick spy shots? You hiding them, brother? :))

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• caliking

Aviator said:
    where is them pics ??? with beads and quick spy shots? You hiding them, brother? :))

What happens in NOLA... stays in NOLA! ;)

We had a great time, but next time we will ease up on stuffing our faces a bit. Its hard to reign it in when there are so many great eateries in a relatively small area. Then maybe I can actually meet up with nola too!

• Glad you had a great time. Just to note, Herbsaint is a Donald Link restaurant. He was a sous chef for Spicer back in the day and she helped him open the restaurant. Link opened Cochon and Butcher with one of his chefs from Herbsaint on his own. Link recently opened up a seafood restaurant that I highly recommend called Peche. They grill whole fish over open coals. It is awesome. If anyone goes, order the fried bread. Also have to say you missed out on Dante's Kitchen. Really good spot. Well thought out dishes and wonderful drinks.
    "America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." -Tennessee Williams
  • caliking
    Thanks for the correction - some of the details got hazy after the multiple food comas and the sazeracs didn't help :) I liked Cochon when I ate there a few years ago - had a rabbit pot pie that was great. 

Will keep Peche in mind since it sounds like a place I would like. It was a last minute impulse decision to skip Dante's Kitchen, since I'm not the biggest fan of Nouveau American and we were more interested in Creole/Cajun flavors. But we may give it a try on our next trip.