Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My new Eggcessory

I have wanted one of these for a while - the gas burners you see professional chefs use to do omelettes to order, etc.  In that the Egg does not have a side burner, this seems to be just the ticket for sauces and sides.  Today I am going to do a saute with bacon, onions, and green beans to go with the beef that is now foiled on the egg.  These things get really hot really fast, and the gas canisters are only about $2.00 each.  Like most stuff I acquire, they have these at Amazon.  I have never found at a local retailer, though the local restaurant supply store had them for twice the $25 price I paid.
XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY

Comments

• CP92
    CP92 Posts: 318
    Nice addition.  As from the movie "That'll do Pig, that'll do".
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    Very nice, and you can store it without taking up a great deal of space.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I've been looking for one. Name?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I do a similar thing but with a Duxtop induction burner (electric) from Amazon. It heats up my cast iron cookware almost instantly, does not get hot, is silent, is easy to clean, is relatively cheap, and does not run out of fuel. The side burner is convenient for sauces and sides.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    edited October 2013

henapple
    said:
    I've been looking for one. Name?
    Brand is GasOne, Here's a link to it at Amazon.  You can also buy the gas canisters at Amazon, but through other suppliers.  If you look carefully, some suppliers have free shipping.  

Here's a pic of tonights side - bacon, green beans, and onions in bacon fat and butter - can't lose!  This is the first time I have used it, it has a built in starter and it does get real hot real fast, but temp control is very good.  I am really pleased with this thing
    Rochester, NY
  • I've been looking for a side burner but I want one that runs on natural gas. I have the gas line coming right out of the house from when I had my gas grill. This unit does look nice. How long does a canister of fuel last?
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Cookinbob
    I've been looking for a side burner but I want one that runs on natural gas. I have the gas line coming right out of the house from when I had my gas grill. This unit does look nice. How long does a canister of fuel last?
    i don't have enough experience yet to say how long they last.  Of course it depends on how hot you have the burner set.  I would say this gets much hotter than my gas range in the house, so unless I was boiling water in a hurry, the heat will be low and usually not on for too long.  Lots of reviews on Amazon may give you some insight.  You can buy a case of 12 for $22 with free shipping, so they are way cheaper than lump charcoal :)  I like the portability - I will be be able to take this on a picnic or wherever.

Only issues seem to be wind and cold temps.  I can easily shield wind if I have to.  For cold temps, I guess I'll do something else.
    Rochester, NY
  • Thanks
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Looks like a great addition and really good price
    Albion, PA
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Nice toy. 
    The side burner is all I use on my gas grill.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    That's a great idea. I think I have seen similar stoves in Asian grocery stores.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I do a similar thing but with a Duxtop induction burner (electric) from Amazon. It heats up my cast iron cookware almost instantly, does not get hot, is silent, is easy to clean, is relatively cheap, and does not run out of fuel. The side burner is convenient for sauces and sides.
    I have an indoor cooktop but I would like to get one for outside too. Mainly for deep frying. So much safer with induction.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Cookinbob
    caliking said:
    That's a great idea. I think I have seen similar stoves in Asian grocery stores.
    I am told that they do sell these stoves and gas in Asian grocery stores, I have never checked though.

As for induction burners mentioned above, I personally would rather not mess with a cord.  Deep frying may be safer with induction, but I don't deep fry at the present - I would probably buy a deep fryer if I decided to pursue
    Rochester, NY
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I've been looking for a side burner but I want one that runs on natural gas. I have the gas line coming right out of the house from when I had my gas grill. This unit does look nice. How long does a canister of fuel last?

I am looking for a real hot burner as I also have gas set up. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.