Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide cookers....

Amazon has the Sous Vide Supreme for right at $400. Do any of you have experience with this unit?

If it sucks, what else do you recommend?
SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I don't have it, but C-T does and he likes it.  I have the PolyScience Sous Vide professional, and it has the advantage of water circulation and small size - you attach to a pot or cooler, comes with a storage case.  Important for us, since we have a small kitchen with an abundance of tools.

That said, my model is expensive.  There's a cheaper Polyscience that works just as well for $400.  You can find it here: link
    edited October 2013
    ...  There's a cheaper Polyscience that works just as well for $400.  You can find it here: link
    nice find, but 25% more $ for canuckistan  :D
    canuckland
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Have one.  Like it.  Handy for tough cuts of meat like tri-tip or chuck roast that you can finish on the Egg.  Sous Vide allows you to cook a piece until tender yet have it remain med-rare if you like it that way.  Steaks and tri tip will need a quick sear to get a nice brown finish.  
  • This is the one that I plan on purchasing in the near future. http://www.sousvides.com/index.html

I have said that Texas is a state of mind, but I think it is more than that. It is a mystique closely approximating a religion. - John Steinbeck

Katy, Texas

• There are a lot of DIY Sousvide options in the web, that you can do for less than $100. It all depends on how much time you want to spend, and how handy you are to safely wire an electric water heater and don't get yourself fried...
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I have one and like it a lot.  I'm on the backer list for the new Sansaire unit that should ship mid November $199). I wanted a second unit so I can do two different temps.  Do a lot of steaks at medium rare and medium well at the same dinner parties.  I sear at 550 - 600 for 45 to 60 seconds per side - perfection.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I like my sous vide supreme its great for boneless chicken breasts and skirt/flank steaks. My favorite sous vide dish is actually scrambled eggs. I have never had eggs even close to as good as they come out of the sous vide. I do not prefer quick cook red meats like steak or tri tips in the sous vide. I still use the sous vide for these cooks but I set it at 108 like you would a hot tub and leave them about an hour then cook to preference. I would probably pick up a mini or small egg if you don't have a 2nd egg already over getting a sous vide.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I do steaks sous vide for dinner parties because you never know when people are going to be late or if early drinking impacts the dinner start time.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• i do have one and i like it but for the money i would definitely go with the Poly sience unit that Nola recommends. Much more flexible.the SVS is limited by the size of the unit itself. The polyscience is not.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Thanks for all of the info... I had not been made aware of the Anova or the Sansaire units that are both priced at the $200 mark. Both are also portable, much like the Poly Science PRO.

After looking at the reviews for the Anova, it makes a slight humming sound that I would rather avoid... The Sansaire looks great, but it isn't in production yet. Their website says they should start shipping around mid November.

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions...

• JohnMc
    JohnMc Posts: 76
    Costco mailer received today has the SousVide Supreme Demi for $319.99 delivered. Says it's $50 off. You might want to check their website.
  • jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    I just placed my pre-order for the Sansaire model. $208 with shipping. It is supposed to be completely silent and can control 6 gallons of water easily which would make it comparable to the Polyscience at half the price.

Supposed to ship out around mid-November... Can't wait!