Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Chuck

Browsing BJ's yesterday for something to cook, I spotted this 3 lb chuck roast, looking nicely marbled, and decided to smoke it brisket style.

Rubbed it down this morning with my paprika/pepper/brown sugar rub, then back into the fridge.  I plan to light the egg a little before noon, and cook at 275 with some Hickory for smoke.  I think it will be good, updates will follow.
XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY

Comments

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Do you have a picture of the label? I've been looking everywhere for a nice big Chuck but no joy. I'm starting to think I'm looking for the wrong thing...
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    edited October 2013
    Thats a nice chuck roast!maybe i should look for chuck instead of prime rib! =D> good luck with your cook!how long do u think it will take? My PR is about 5 lbs.
  • That will be good as pulled beef with your favorite sauce. I just did that cook last week.
  • +1 for Pulled Beef. I will say that my experience is that getting Pulled Beef to temp seems to take longer than Pulled Pork.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Do you have a picture of the label? I've been looking everywhere for a nice big Chuck but no joy. I'm starting to think I'm looking for the wrong thing...
    Here's the label.  I have not seen a piece of Chuck cut like this before. Usually thinner and wider. @daffy1909, it looks a lot like your prime rib, but I am sure there is no comparison - that is a fine looking cut - let us know how it cooks up.

As for this cook, it went on the grill at 1:00 along with some sweet Italian sausage that was in the fridge.  It all looks lost on my XL - wish I had more meat!

I will pull the sausage in 1-1/2 to 2 hours, expect to foil the beef around 4-4:30 to finish the cook.  Grid temp is holding about 260 according to Maverick, though dome temp is around 350.  I expect they will get closer as the PS and grill interior totally stabilize.  Looking for about 275.
    Rochester, NY
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Thanks @Cookinbob, I'll continue to keep an eye out. Really want to do a pulled beef cook soon.

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • 10 lb clod took 16 hours yesterday. Had to jack the temp to 325 the last 2 1/2 hours and foil it to get it to 202. Pulled great after 2 hr FTC.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    This one is now history.  It was only a 3 lb cut, so did not take a long time.  3 hours at 275 grate, then foiled for 1-1/2 hours at 350 to hit 203 IT , pulled and FTC while I finished the meal.  Left the heat at 350 and did a couple of twice baked potatoes while cooking green beans and onions on a side burner.

Meat was fall apart tender - I sliced, but could have pulled.  Great smoke ring but my rub was a bit salty.  Leftovers will make a great sammie later in the week!
    Rochester, NY