Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My First Spatchcock Chicken

Options
One 4 lb chicken rubbed with a little EVOO and McCormick GrillMates brown sugar bourbon rub.  This was semi last minute, so it only sat in the fridge about 2 hours or so.  Going to cook it raised (gasket level) at 400 degrees.  Having a nice Vodka and Diet Sprite with lemon and lime to marinate me.... ;-)  Attached are pre cook pictures, will post again when its done.
RobLarge BGE, Merritt Island, (Space Coast of Florida)

Boiler UP

Comments

• lantzwr
    lantzwr Posts: 229
    Options
    Was going to do beer can, but y'all convinced me that spatchcock was the way to go.  I think the beer can chicken stand might stay on the shelf for a little while.

Boiler UP
  • brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    Options
    Once you cut out the backbone you never go back. It's definitely the way it go.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • lantzwr
    Options
    Off the grill resting....(sorry, pic is a little blurry).  Will take another one or two when I carve it up.

Boiler UP
  • lantzwr
    Options
    I cut into the breast bone, and it was quite red in the bone area.  Wife said no way, I would have eaten it.  So back on it goes.

Boiler UP
  • lantzwr
    Options
    Guess I need to get a better thermometer.  

Boiler UP
  • brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    Options
    Thermapen is your best friend. 180 at the thigh and 160 at the breast.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • jeroldharter
    Options
    Put the thermometer in the thickest part of the breast and go to 165. DigiQ is a great investment.
  • lantzwr
    Options
    Well here it is all cut up.  I think I will cook it 80 minutes next time, unless I get a better thermometer by then.  Still juicy and flavorful.  Will definitely try again soon.

Boiler UP
  • brzelt
    brzelt Posts: 62
    Options
    Nice.... I know I will never beer can a chicken again after spatchcock.
    Bruce
    L BGE
    Kennesaw, GA
  • legomyeggo
    Options
    I did one tonight. I use Mango margarita mix in my brine. Cook the chicken with a little rub, , then when it is almost done, i cut it up into leg/thigh and breast / wing sections and put it in an aluminum pan with some margarita mix and brown sugar. get it all covered - cover pan with foil for a few mins,  till almost done then finish on the grill. Thicken the mango / Brown sugar left in pan and serve it over chicken. I do this with ribs too.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Nice, I use my beer can stands as drying racks for my BBQ gloves now.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • lantzwr
    Options
    I did one tonight. I use Mango margarita mix in my brine. Cook the chicken with a little rub, , then when it is almost done, i cut it up into leg/thigh and breast / wing sections and put it in an aluminum pan with some margarita mix and brown sugar. get it all covered - cover pan with foil for a few mins,  till almost done then finish on the grill. Thicken the mango / Brown sugar left in pan and serve it over chicken. I do this with ribs too.
    Sounds really good.

Boiler UP
  • lantzwr
    Options
    DMW said:
    Nice, I use my beer can stands as drying racks for my BBQ gloves now.
    LMAO....

Boiler UP
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    I'll agree with the use of a thermometer to ensure that your cooking to the proper IT. However, red near the bone is not necessarily a sign of under cooked chicken.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    The most important tip that I have gotten from this forum forum is: If you get a good thermometer (Thermopen) and cook to temp rather than time, your results will improve immensely.

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• lantzwr
    Options
    I'll agree with the use of a thermometer to ensure that your cooking to the proper IT. However, red near the bone is not necessarily a sign of under cooked chicken.

abpgwolf said:
    The most important tip that I have gotten from this forum forum is: If you get a good thermometer (Thermopen) and cook to temp rather than time, your results will improve immensely.
    Going to order a good thermometer this week.  I knew it was probably OK to eat, but there was no way I was going to convince the wife of that, even if I showed her that article.... ;-)

Boiler UP
  • jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Options
    I had never read that article before. That is good information.
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    lantzwr said:
    Going to order a good thermometer this week.  I knew it was probably OK to eat, but there was no way I was going to convince the wife of that, even if I showed her that article.... ;-)
    Mrs. TOTN used to be the same way. Once she knew the facts she has at least started eating down to the reddish areas.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.