Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butterflied Butt on the Large Egg

Options
First time cooking a butterflied butt and using Oakridge BBQ's Secret Weapon rub.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Draped it over an inverted V rack to fit in the Egg Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Butt before foiling: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Pulled after a 75 min rest in a warming drawer & mixed with a little Big Butz Cranberry BBQ sauce: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Today's sammy with leftovers: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Thanks for looking!
XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA

Comments

• Holepuncher
    Options
    How much time did butterflying save you?
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    edited October 2013
    Options
    The best part of a butterflied butt is twice the amount of bark and bark equals flavor.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Hey @R2Egg2Q, that looks great, thanks for posting. I'm trying to picture how you butterflied that butt. If I'm right the money muscle is right in the middle. Did you start from a boneless butt and unfold it like a map?

Definitely getting a bookmark.

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options

How much time did butterflying save you?

It started off as a 7 1/2 lb bone-in butt which I'd normally cook in about 7 hours. This one was done in 4 1/2 hrs. I expected it to be faster but not that fast.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options

Hey @R2Egg2Q, that looks great, thanks for posting. I'm trying to picture how you butterflied that butt. If I'm right the money muscle is right in the middle. Did you start from a boneless butt and unfold it like a map?

Definitely getting a bookmark.

Cheers
    B_B
    It was a bone-in butt. I chose to butterfly in the direction I did so the money muscle sat in the middle thinking it would be protected better from direct heat. Turns out it got a little more heat & smoke being at the highest point. I was able to cut the money muscle out after the rest and slice it pretty cleanly despite it being taken to an IT over 200.

Bay Area, CA