Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

the pizza cake

The pizza cake is a pizza that looks like a cake rather than a cake that mimics a pizza… I began with a standard batch of dough cut it into 4 equal pieces, let rise. When doubled, finger flatten the first ball & lay it into the bottom of your cake pan (or in my case a Guardian Service aluminum dutch oven, I realized today I don’t actually own a cake pan). Next, top with smoked andouille sausage & mozzarella. Add the next layer of dough & top with spinach & locatelli. Add the next layer of dough & top with pepperoni & mozzarella. The final layer of dough went on & that was topped with caramelized onions & mozzarella. I covered this & popped the whole mess onto the egg @ 400 for about 45 minutes. Remove, cool, slice & serve with tomato sauce. It’s really hard to comprehend how good this tasted.

Oh, & got a new toy for my kettle, the hinged grid – great compliment to the charcoal baskets I picked up earlier this summer, great combination for indirect cooking. Broke in the new grid with the hot smoked sausage:

Now to build the cake:

A good way to spend an early fall afternoon

·

Comments

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 26,946
    Another pizza cook. Fascinating

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • HibbyHibby Posts: 423
    Interesting favors. Looks great!
    Conservative stalwart in Thornville, Ohio
    ·
  • CookinbobCookinbob Posts: 1,406
    It looks like it should be illegal!  A really creative cook - I may have to try it myself.  How much dough in your batch, or maybe a better question, how much flour went into the dough batch?
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
    ·
  • That looks pretty tasty!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Wow - that takes DEEP dish to a whole new level.
  • bud812bud812 Posts: 1,288
    Looks interesting. Did the dough in the middle cook enough ?

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

·
  • Wow! Impressive.

·
  • LitLit Posts: 3,419
    Do you deliver?
    ·
  • I feel like the accolades have been understated, that looks ridiculously good!

Bookmarked for sure!

Thanks for posting.

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
    ·
  • The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 12,126
    edited October 2013
    I dunno, seems like it could use some pumpkin or something............maybe it's just me

·
  • texaswigtexaswig Posts: 670
    Super cool.
    Scott
    Greenville ,Tx

Xl bge with woo2 and ajustable rack
    ·
  • Nice.  Question:  The Kettle was already set up for indirect cook, why switch to the egg?
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·
  • jcm806jcm806 Posts: 10
    Awesome
    James. Large Big Green Egg 2013. Alabaster, AL
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem. "I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude." - Thomas Jefferson
    ·
  • WOW looks unbelievably great.
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
    ·