Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Petite Tender Beef Filet

PanamaPat
PanamaPat Posts: 16
Searing for 2 1/2 minutes on each side @ 550 to 600 degrees - dome open.  Will continue to cook with dome closed on each side for about 3 minutes per side.  Will flip two times.  Total cook time - 17 minutes.  Looking for medium - IT 160 to 165 degrees.  Looking for any suggestions - rubs or marinades?
MBGE, Mini BGE, Table, Accessories, Maverick Dual Probe, Growing

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited October 2013

160 is a little north of medium. If it is a true petit tender you are cooking it way too long at those temps. You want to pull it about 140 to finish at medium. What does it weigh.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• It is not big.  Maybe a couple of pounds.

• Are you using a thermometer to check internal temp or just going on time and cooking temp.

You might do a search for the "reverse sear" method too. Might be an easier way to get the results that you want.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
  • Little Steven
    A petit tender is from the chuck. They weigh 8 to 10 oz. max. That is why I said you had too much time.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Thanks,  I thought it was part of the short loin.  Somehow I thought the petite was one of the muscles trimmed from the tenderloin.  I will try to keep posted as I go through the cook.
  • Little Steven
    It's cut from the same relative place but forward of the seventh vertebrae. Really good piece of meat with more flavor than a tenderloin.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Update:  Seared @ 550 degrees with the dome open.  I did this as soon at the BGE dome thermometer read 550 with the dome closed.  I kept the dome open and seared both sides for 2 1/2 minutes.

I then flipped the petite over, closed the dome and cooked for 3 minutes.   FYI - When I closed the dome, the temperature read 250 degrees.  During this 3 minute cook the dome temperature raised for 250 degrees to 500 degrees and stabilized in 2 minutes.  The last minute of the 3 minutes cooked @ 500 degrees.

I then opened the dome and flipped the petite.  I immediately closed the dome and cooked for another 3 minutes.  FYI - When I closed the dome this time the temperature read 450 degrees.  During this 3 minute cook the dome temperature raised from 450 degrees to 550 degrees and stabilized in 2 minutes.  The last minute of the 3 minutes cooked @ 550 degrees.

I then opened the dome and immediately took and instant read.  The meat temperature was @ 130 degrees.  I immediately closed the dome and cooked for and additional 1 1/2 minutes.  I opened the dome and took an instant read.  135 degrees.  Perfecto!  I removed the petite and let it rest.  Finished temperature after resting was 140 degrees.  Medium Rare - Test taste was great. 

• Footnote:  During the complete cook I kept the dome top open - nothing on top.  I also kept draft wide open - no adjustments.  Just thought you might want to know.  The devil is in the details!