Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT A friend came to breakfast this morning

After I put out a little corn.

This is for Grif.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments

• What a handsome breakfast companion!  Thank you for sharing. 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    He looks delicious.
  • He looks delicious.
    So does your dog in your avatar.    :ar!

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• the only way he would look better is if he was butchered and in my Egg !
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    He looks delicious.

She probably would have been then, but that was 8 years ago. She's kind of old and gristly now.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I would never suggest you murder and eat a friend but it's dang hard not to.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • I only murder people and animals when it's a challenge.  This would be a shot at 30 feet while sitting on my back porch.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    He looks delicious.

:))

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Nice shot. I really like the sentiment about these things on your website.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Normally when a deer is invited to a BBQ, I expect it to be inside the egg.

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Grif??? Doesn't he chicken fry those things??

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Nice. I'm no expert on judging them and can't tell from the angle, but is the inside spread 13". I looked up the info on Goliad and all we can take down are bucks over 13". And spikes. No doe. My brother in law put up a motion activated camera back in September and we looked at it this weekend and saw quite a few that fit that bill. Friday morning, while hunting dove, I spotted about 25 together in a herd, but they were too far away from me to tell if there were any bucks and what size. You are right, 30 feet from the back porch wouldn't be a challenge at all. We have a feeder close to the ranch house so MIL can see the deer. Nobody is allowed to shoot any from that one.

@calking. I've bben know to chicken fry up some backstrap. I also like to make jalapeno cheese sausage out of it as well. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Griffin said:

Nice. I'm no expert on judging them and can't tell from the angle, but is the inside spread 13". I looked up the info on Goliad and all we can take down are bucks over 13". 

What?  That's crazy.  I've never heard of such a thing.  What are you supposed to do - walk up to him with a tape measure?  I can understand counting for minimum points, but the spread?  In this case, however, that guy is way past 13".  I'm guessing 18-20".  However, he'll be safe if he hangs around my property during deer season.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• travisstrick
    That deers inside spread is either 12 or 13 inches. No doubt about it. The man will absolutely give you a ticket over it. Don't ask me how I know that.

• travisstrick
    This is what a 20" plus buck looks like. That pic was taken in my FIL yard. image
  • Eggcelsior
    VI, you're such a gentle creature. A prey animal lets you waltz up and measure his antlers with Stanley's finest instrument. Travis is full of it indeed.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited October 2013
    Having been to VI's back yard I can tell you that is a stuffed deer he keeps on wheels and ropes. When we were there he went to the back yard and rattled a can of corn. Then pulled out several deer just like that. We all smiled and told him how nice it was. It keeps VI happy now in his later years.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• That's because all of my Boone & Crockett bucks are afraid when they see a car salesman (just like the rest of us), so they don't dare come out of the woods.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• travisstrick
    I know what an illegal deer looks like on the hoof. Trust me.

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Let me know if you have one like this show up and I'll bring the bacon and eggs.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    There's no thing as an illegal deer if you're not caught.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple said:
    There's no thing as an illegal deer if you're not caught.
    Apparently, that's true with illegal aliens, even if you ARE caught.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Eggcelsior
    Laws, shmaws...

Henapple's new tattoo.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited October 2013
    That deers inside spread is either 12 or 13 inches. No doubt about it. The man will absolutely give you a ticket over it. Don't ask me how I know that.
    B.S. Travis.  You're full of sh*t.  Here's proof.

I don't know... Given the tape is highlighted in 10's, you sure that's not in centimeters?

Beautiful pic Mr. Idiot. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    @skiddymarker - good catch, that's a metric tape.  I use metric in my shop when it's easier.  20cm = 7.9"
    Here's how I prepare them for measurement. Get them nice and full and then whip out your tape measure.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Griffin said:

Nice. I'm no expert on judging them and can't tell from the angle, but is the inside spread 13". I looked up the info on Goliad and all we can take down are bucks over 13". 

What?  That's crazy.  I've never heard of such a thing.  What are you supposed to do - walk up to him with a tape measure?  I can understand counting for minimum points, but the spread?  In this case, however, that guy is way past 13".  I'm guessing 18-20".  However, he'll be safe if he hangs around my property during deer season.
    From page 69 of this year's Outdoor Annual, ears in alert position are approximately 13 inches apart and may be used to judge the INSIDE spread.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• travisstrick
    Griffin said:
    Griffin said:

From page 69 of this year's Outdoor Annual, ears in alert position are approximately 13 inches apart and may be used to judge the INSIDE spread.
    Not an exact science. I did that and ended up with 11 3/4 in inside spread one time. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    @travisstrick says "Not an exact science. I did that and ended up with 11 3/4 in inside spread one time. "

Most guys would be happy with that measurement wether spread inside or outside, darn bureaucrats and their rules..... 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!