Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What kind of container are you using when home curing bacon?

I am about to start my first batch. I see that most people here seem to be using large ziploc bags. I am thinking of purchasing a full size polycarbonate restaurant style cambro container. What are you using and why?

Comments

• food saver bags. it's best to use a tighter fitting container like a bag with the air sucked out. you want the cure to stay in contact with all sides of the belly as much as possible. zip locks are fine too.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660

food saver bags. it's best to use a tighter fitting container like a bag with the air sucked out. you want the cure to stay in contact with all sides of the belly as much as possible. zip locks are fine too.

I did not think of food saver bags but it sounds like a good idea. Do you have to cut the full belly in 1/2 1/3 ?

Do you still have to turn the bag every other day?

edited October 2013
    Assuming you are starting with a full belly, i cut it in 3rds for 2 reasons. It fits the bags better and it gives me the size slices I like. I do turn the bags every few days but I'm not religious about it. I do it when i think about it.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I use 2 gallon ziploc and turn every day or 2.
  • One more note- I don't let them seal all the way. I get it kind if snug but where the juices can still move around.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I use these expandable foodsaver rolls.  Large enough for a 15 pound brisket and any belly you can find.

FoodSaver® GameSaver® 11" Expandable Heat Seal Rolls, 2-Pack

I seal them and flip once a day during the cure.
    Thanks a lot guys!

I now have ~10 pounds of bacon curing in food saver bags. I had no confidence whatsoever that ~5 pounds of bacon would fit in one bag but it did!

If I had known that food saver bags would work, I would have have started curing bacon a long time ago. I was waiting to have a fridge big enough to accommodate a large container...

For those of you who use ziploc bags, did you ever have a bag leak?

I used the Ruhlman maple cure recipe but I did not have maple syrup and did not feel like going to the grocery store... Instead of using 50 grams brown sugar and 60 ml maple syrup, I used 100 grams maple sugar. Do you think that will work?

imageimage

How do u make your own bacon?i would love to try it! We all love bacon!
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    grab a copy of charcuterie by ruhlman.  its an amazing book.  also to the op i use food saver bags as well.  we are finally getting cool enough I can cold smoke after midnight again.  i ran out of bacon that i made like 2 months ago, got to plan it better next year!
    daffy1909 said:
    How do u make your own bacon?i would love to try it! We all love bacon!

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    @daffy1909 Check this link: http://ruhlman.com/2010/10/home-cured-bacon-2/

Or as @U_tarded said, get the book Charcuterie.

I made my cure from 12 grams pink salt, 50 grams sea salt and 100 grams maple sugar. The original recipe calls for 12 grams pink salt, 50 grams kosher salt, 50 grams brown sugar and 60 nl maple syrup. I hope my mix will work.

I simply placed 5 pound of belly in a food saver bag and poured the mixture in the bag on both sides of the belly. I will turn the bag in the fridge every day. After 7 days, I will remove the belly from the bag and rinse it with water. It will then spend the night in the fridge in an open container to let it form a pellicule. On the 8th day, it will go on the egg to smoke.