Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Poll-Lump; dump or sort first...

Trying out Rockwood on Sat for the first time and as I was sorting into the lump storage bins I decided to inquire as to others' preferences.  I sort large (self defined), medium (self defined) and small/marginal use.  (There are the occasional grandes' but that's the exception.) True confession-I also hand load the lump and (now for the jinx) have never lost a fire.  Anyone else?
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• I do the same exact thing as @Tjcoley
    Pittsburgh, PA
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    As long as I use Rockwood, Ozark Oak, or Dragon Breath, I just dump.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• I for the most part dump and burn the only time I lost a fire was my maiden voyage my fault I didnt put enough lump  who knew but like Tjcoley said if I'm doing a over night low and slow I clean out the Egg compleat take down shop vac  reassemble put fresh lump large peaces on bottom  then smokeing chunks on top then dump the old stuff on top of that and more chunks on top of that 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Dump and light. i am on my third bag of rockwood and there is really no need to sort. You will love the way it cooks. It burns hotter than any lump i have tried except for OO Between those 2 it is a wash for me

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835

I used to sort the lump and was meticulous about cleaning out the egg each time. Then I realized I was wasting my time and now just give a few stirs and then just dump in the lump.  Every few times I'll clean out the ash after stirring. 

No problems with the fire going out and the time saved is enormous.

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    edited October 2013

I keep my lump in a watertight plastic tote under my table big enough to hold about 30 lbs. worth.  I will split open a new bag with a utility knife and move all pieces from the bag to the tote by hand (not sorting by size however), and leave very small/unusable pieces and dust to be discarded with the bag.  When adding lump, I just do it by hand for however many handfuls I need based on what I have left in the fire box. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    I dump and burn. Never have attempted to sort and never had a fire to go out. I have done numerous overnight cooks without problems.
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • drink and dump for me. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Dump and burn for me!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Dump, make sure nothing weird is going on, light.  drink.

For low and slows, I clean egg by setting the unburned pieces of lump aside, then vacuuming the ash out.  I then fill the bottom of the firebox with large pieces of new lump and place the unburned pieces I set aside on top of the new lump.

I figure the fresh clean out is worth not risking the fire going out in the middle of the night.
    Texas Aggie transplanted in Georgia
    Large BGE, Small BGE, more accessories than I'm willing to tell the Mrs. about.

• I stir, dump, and light. I clean out the egg for long cooks or big cooks. I don't dump the bottom of the bag in, I dump it in a 5 gallon bucket and shake and then get anything worth saving out.

XLBGE 
  • I had to wait in line. Just got a toilet.

XLBGE 
  • jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    RLeeper said:
    I dump and burn. Never have attempted to sort and never had a fire to go out. I have done numerous overnight cooks without problems.
    +1 Dump and burn
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Dump and light no matter what I'm cooking.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    Stir, dump and light. As the the late, great Billy Mays would say "It's that easy!"
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

Dump it!!!  No need to sort.

If you're in the bottom 1/4 of the bag and getting ready for a long smoke, then open a new bag.  Dump the new bag, then use that 1/4 of the old bag over the top.  Once you get down to the very bottom of the bag, save what little fines are left for your fireplace, camp fire, or other non-BGE cooker.

• radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Stir it good with my 1x2 coal shuffler.  Then dump and light. Every bag or so I use my shop vac to clean out the ash. Never had an issue. 

Long Island, NY
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

Dump, make sure nothing weird is going on, light.  drink.

I do a similar method. Drink, dump, light with my alcohol dragon breath and a Bic lighter. High comedy.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,163
    Thanks to all for the input-my approach is very much in the minority so I need to get  right with the world. I've got the drinking part down to a science but the lump charcoal load exercise definitely needs work.  All in good time-have a great weekend and Go A's!!!!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Dude, I dump and light. Its just too dirty of a process for me. It all gets burned anyways. 

I only had one fire and it was my first low and slow using Wicked good. After doing the research i realized it wasn't me but the lump. Haven't had a fire go out since. Every few cooks I will clean out the egg. The last few low and slows were just dump and light no cleaning required other than raking out the ashes beneath the fire grate. 

XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Since getting hi que grate I just dump and light.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    I stir and dump. Then I clear a little space at the front of the firebox to make sure a hole or two from the charcoal grate are unobstructed. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• THE DRU
    THE DRU Posts: 63
    I stir, dump and light. Nothing but Rockwood here in Central Kentucky!

Versailles, KY

XL, Lg, MM, Performer, Q

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Stir the leftover, dump and lite. Never had a problem on my XL. Usually use Royal Oak. Used Oazark Oak for my tandoori last week and was very impressed with the minimal ash it produced.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    What is this stir thing?  Thought the question was dump or sort.