Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket is on

robnybbq
robnybbq Posts: 1,911
edited October 2013 in EggHead Forum
Got a nice 12 lb brisket on the egg. Trimmed a little as this one did not have allot of fat. Rubbed 50/50 Jake's beef rub(coffee) and DP Cow lick. Egg at 225-250 for the night.

Enjoying he aroma with a cigar and bourbon. Chillin to he Sonos stereo. Got to enjoy the last warm night.

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• robnybbq
    ~2 hrs in. Egg stable at 239. Brisket at 120. Bring in a long stall. Hopefully he bourbon kicks in and I get a good night sleep.

Btw. I am hungry. The smell from the egg is amazing.

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    12 hours in. 181.

Got no sleep. Maverick alarms all night. I am getting a controller or no more overnights. Temps went from 225 to 286 and back to 230 now at 250. It was locked in at 240 for 4 hours then all night I was chasing too hot or too low.

I may need a Bloody Mary soon

Garnerville, NY
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    robnybbq said:
    12 hours in. 181. Got no sleep. Maverick alarms all night. I am getting a controller or no more overnights. Temps went from 225 to 286 and back to 230 now at 250. It was locked in at 240 for 4 hours then all night I was chasing too hot or too low. I may need a Bloody Mary soon
    No need to chase... as long as you have the upper limit set and it doesn't go over you should be fine, even a little over is okay. I have my maverick hi low for the grate set from 225 to 275 if it goes above I don't worry too much...

Of course, a controller would be nice too ;)
  • robnybbq
    I had the alarms at 225 and 280. It was bouncing outside both limits. So when it was 286 I choked the bottom vent a tap or 1/2 a screen opening width. Then 2 hours later 220 so I would open it back up a tap. I am guessing he weather changing made a difference. Very humid and warm yesterday to cooler and threat of rain all night.

Garnerville, NY
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    It took me a while to learn that even the smallest adjustments need time to settle in, it's not real fast sometimes, maybe 20-30min. If after 15min I'd try and speed the adjustment along either way, I'd end up over shooting it by quite a bit sometimes.

Patience Grasshopper
  • robnybbq
    Brisket at 196. Point side butta. Flat still a little tough. Will let ride for 30 more minutes and pull. Smells great

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    Tue egg was locked in at 240 for over 4 hours then it changed allot without me touching it. I had to adjust to prevent the brisket becoming a hockey puck. Just a weird night.

And I used royal oak that I use all the time but my last few overnight era were the slow burning wicked good (ran out). It should not make a difference once locked in but who knows.

Garnerville, NY
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    If I were you, I'd pull it off when the flat (particularly the thickest part of the flat) probes tender and not worry about probing or temping the point anymore. IMO, it's probably going to take a little longer than 30 mins for that flat to go from "a little tough" to tender. You've hung in there all night and would hate to see you pull it off too early after all that work.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • robnybbq
    Al is tender now. Pulled foiled toweled in the cooler fr tonight. Beans on the egg smoking away now

Garnerville, NY
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Looking good. Can't wait to see some sliced pics.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• robnybbq
    Awesome cook

Garnerville, NY
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Nice! Looks like you are getting your setup dialed in. Make sure you take notes of your successful cooks and do a write mem ;)
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Looks great!  Bet it tasted even better.
    Long Island, NY
  • robnybbq
    DMW said:
    Nice! Looks like you are getting your setup dialed in. Make sure you take notes of your successful cooks and do a write mem ;)
    :)

Garnerville, NY