Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick Questions on Air Drying Spatchcock Chicken Skin

Options
Planning to do some Spatchcock again this weekend.  I want to let it sit in the fridge for a while...

Questions:

Do I go ahead and rub with oil and add the dry rub before I put it in the fridge or wait to do that until right before I put it on the grill?

If I put it in tonight (Thursday) and cook it Saturday afternoon, is that too long to sit in fridge?

Covered  or  not while in fridge?

Thanks!
BJ

Men of integrity expect to be believed, but when they aren't, they allow time to prove them right.

Comments

• Styer
    Styer Posts: 25
    Options
    I usually let mine sit in the fridge al natural for 24-48 hours and then add rub about an hour or so before putting it on the egg. Also for that hour I let it sit out at room temp. 
  • Hankyorke
    Hankyorke Posts: 146
    edited August 2013
    Options
    I let mine sit in a baking dish uncovered overnight, then drain & rub in the morning, back to the fridge uncovered, and finally sit out for an hour before I toss it on the BGE.  SWMBO likes the crispy skin...

LBGE

BTFU!

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I don't set it out for an hour. But 24/36 hours is fine uncovered in fridge.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I would brine it overnight then leave it open in the fridge Friday and Saturday, oil and rub it before you cook it. If you can get it higher than the felt line on the egg the more crispy the skin will be. I did one last week like this and skin was very crispy. For the brine 1 gal water 1 cup kosher salt 1/2 cup sugar and what ever herbs you like, i crush about 6 or 8 garlic and throw it in.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    The point of air drying is to dry the skin.  If you were to cover the skin with oil, the moisture in the skin wouldn't be able to evaporate.  Leave that part until the end.
    The Naked Whiz
  • ajj
    ajj Posts: 3
    Options

Do you cut it before air drying it in the fridge? or air dry and cut spatchcock afterwards?

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    ajj said:

Do you cut it before air drying it in the fridge? or air dry and cut spatchcock afterwards?

Personally I cut it up first because if done after you usually get yer bird wet again...lol

Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    I take the skin off and cook the bird without it. Try it sometime. You won't notice the difference. IMHO it's better because the rub gets on all of the meat surface.
    Mark Annville, PA