Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Getting ready for my first cook

Options
2»

Comments

• BGE_beginner_1
    Options
    @Scottborasjr I filled with BGE lump to the top of fire box and used a BGE fire starter. I think my mistake was not showing the temp down once it began to rise, I wad excited and just let it go.

@ragtop99 that is awesome advice and I greatly appreciate the education as I can certainly use it. I do have a quick and possibly stupid question regarding your post though. About how long does it take for the fire to become "establish" before putting the meat on and can you elaborate on what you mean when you say "settle in"?
    Large BGE and new to the egghead world! 
    Orlando FL.
  • Bshults1
    Bshults1 Posts: 145
    Options
    Chicken wings were my first go to. As with anything, patience is the key. Yeah, it takes a little longer on the egg, but the results are worth it. Something I'm trying to hammer home to my wife all the time. And what does she do? She went and got a propane grill so she could cook faster. Any divorce lawyers on this board?