Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza needs work.

Making pizza is harder than I thought it was gonna be. Burnt the bottom.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
Greenville Tx

Comments

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    That happens a lot, keep at it. Try a great deflector between the fire and stone and or a lower temp.

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Another trick I have found is wipe the hot stone with a damp rag before putting the first pizza on. If you put the next one on right after the first comes off, no need to wipe. If it takes a bit to get the next one ready, wipe again before putting the next one on.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    That's the plan. The pizza moving is also getting to me. Looking at getting the super peel.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • DMW
    Are you building the pie on the peel? At first I was not and trying to slide fresh dough onto a peel is darn near impossible. I now use 2 peels, one for assembling the pie and putting it on and another to get them off. I use wooden for assembly and aluminum to take it off.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • texaswig
    Your right. I made i then tried to move it.The peel I have is a sick joke.a metal one that's too small. I'm gonna get me some new peels.

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    I have yet to make a successful pie so you are not alone.  They taste good, just not perfect.  Haven't experimented enough to get my technique down.  You will get there.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • DMW
    Make sure you move fast. The dough will start to stick to the peel quickly. Wood is better than metal for that. Make sure the peel is floured well, but not too much or you can get a burnt flour taste on the pizza. Right when you are ready to put it on start shaking the peel to make sure the pizza is loose and keep it shaking as you put it on. Took me a bit to get it right, I did slide some off the back of the peel, still do and it bugs me every time bexause I know better now...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    I really cheat and use the thin crusts I can get at Shady Maple. Just build my toppings on them and let 'er rip. Way less mess and the pies turn out nice and crispy, and a little faster for feeding a crowd.

Bought a dozen last year for a party and they were about $.70 a piece. A no brainer in my book...
  • Wow @hapster great idea. Haven't been to Shady Maple in a few years. Might be time for a trip.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Man I miss Shady Maple. I think we may have to go to PA to visit my brother-inlaw and take a ride out to Shady Maple.
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    I bought a large cookie sheet at Bed Bath & Beyond and use it as a peel. It has an angled edge on one side which allows me to hold it and slide the pizza off and on easily. Cost less than $20.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835

I used to use flour on the peel but it didn't work too well.. I then tried Corn Meal but it seemed to burn quickly at these temperatures. Now I use Semolina and that seems to work great.

The biggest problem I had with getting Pizzas to cook well is to wait until the pizza stone is at least 500 degrees.  If I get impatient, the first pizza doesn't cook right.  I use an IR thermometer to check the temperature of the stone.

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • texaswig

400 with parchment paper.

scott 
    Greenville Tx