Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Wood chips!

In need of some tips on adding wood chips mid cook with the plate setter in place, a drip pan, and a 8.58 lb pork shoulder on. Is it even possible? I wanted to hit it like twice throughout the 11:30 hour cook with an apple juice/ bourbon spray, and extra wood chips. Any ideas???
·

Comments

• Black_BadgerBlack_Badger Posts: 1,017
    Most of the smoke flavor that will be absorbed by the butt is there in the first couple hours. It might not be worth trying to add more later.

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
    ·
  • Thanx, I just read that if you add wood after the pores have closed,4-5 hours in, it could add a chemical taste. I'll plan on putting in the wood at the start, soaked and cook low and slow. :D
    ·
  • GreenhawKGreenhawK Posts: 398
    Just put it in at different levels in your lump, so that as the fire burns down, it burns down to the chips you have down lower.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
    ·
  • Great idea, green hawk! Already lit the grill this time though.
    ·
  • KennyLeeKennyLee Posts: 689
    And next time consider going with chunks instead of chips, especially for a longer cook. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

·
  • brzeltbrzelt Posts: 62

When I wanted to add with that setup..  I ended up cutting thin small strips on my bandsaw.

I like the idea of layering with the lump... thanks!
    Bruce
    L BGE
    Kennesaw, GA
    ·